Best thing to improve feet ??

G

What are the best things/products or supplements I could give my horse to improve his feet? He's got 4 white feet & they're not the best, they grow quick but tend to be a bit cracked and not very strong. I've heard about biotin if anyone has any experiences with this? Or anything I can put on his feet for the cracks? I can't feed him the typical healthy hooves chaff etc as he needs cereal free feeds.

Thank you

"White hoof syndrome" really is a fallacy:). I've owned a lot of white hooves over the years, if they had problems, so did the dark hooves.

While genetics do play a big part in hoof quality (TB's are notorious for having poor hooves, diet is crucial.

What goes in the feed pan, quality of hay, and if the horse has access to pasture. Grass is a two-edged sword for horses with metabolic issues.

My metabolic horse has naturally thick hoof wall which saved him when he foundered in 2012. I feed him NANRIC Extra Strength Biotin 100, which can be ordered on line from the NANRIC web site.

My other horse has always had hooves like a goat (including the white hoof) and has been barefoot most of his life. I feed him Omega-3 Horseshine which is processed flax and some added vitamins. His hooves have such a natural sheen the farrier once asked if I polished them; I replied "not in this lifetime, I'm a trail rider" :)

Also, FWIW, I do not feed any sort of cereals or grains to my horses. I stopped doing that many years ago.

Red Horse Hoof Stuff is fantasticfor cracks. Red Horse do different products for different types of crack so have a read on their website. Oscar had deep cracks on both hooves and almost needed resecting. I faffed about with poultices and protective boots etc for weeks trying to keep the cracks clean and bacteria free. Then I tried hoof stuff. It contains zinc oxide and manuka honey so its antibacterial. Also promoted growth. Its very soft and sticky and gets right up into the crack. And as it dries it sets like concrete! So Oscar could be turned out without boots or tape and no dirt would penetrate.The plug would stay in place for days! Even in wet weather. Amazing stuff.

Reactions: Jessey
Yes I've used Hoof Stuff to plug abscess holes and other glitches, it is great. Red Horse Field Paste is very good for keeping hooves clean and sweet as well.

I use Equi Life Formula4Feet. I was recommended it ages ago by a farrier and I believe it benefits him. My farrier says he has good feet and he's never lost a shoe, never even had one loose since having shoes on. Only reason he has shoes is that he got sore last summer with the stony ground and the amount of work we did out hacking and now we do that much roadwork that I keep them on. He's going well so I don't feel I need to change anything. I might take backs off this winter though.

I've always found a good vit & min supplement or balancer fed at the recommended rate is as effective as a hoof supplement. Being careful of the work you do on poor surfaces & regular farrier visits - ask him how often he needs to see the horse - are also big factors.

Is the horse shod or barefoot? If they are chipping rather than checking them considering a shorter time between trims or if barefoot then alternatively more work on rough terrain may also asssit. Chipping is. Horses way of self regulating. Now madam is trimmed every 5 weeks - winter she will go twelve hppily.

Chipping is different to cracking though usually.

newrider.com