best thing to stab new holes in a leather bridle?

A leather hole punch:
ShowImage.ashx

Take it to a saddler and get it done with the right punch. Those hole punches are a bit coarse....and TBH I break them every time I go near one!

Take it to a saddler and get it done with the right punch. Those hole punches are a bit coarse....and TBH I break them every time I go near one!

THIS!!! ;)

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE ROTATING PUNCHES ON YOUR SADDLERY! When they break mid-use, you'll destroy the leather.

Wally, you're not the only one who merely has to look at one for it to disintegrate into pieces!

They are pretty crap. Ask a saddler to hole-punch it properly with a punch and hammer. :)

I've used one of those hole punches - on my stirrup leathers, it worked ok?

Well, all I have done in the past when attempting to use one of those is end up with an explosion of little metal bits that don't go back together.

Thing is stirrup leathers and girth billets and any heavy leather "ought" to be done with an oval, not a round punch.

Ive used the hole punch on my harness, however if it was an expensive piece of tack ( my harness wasnt top quality) I would take it to a saddlery as the experts above said! They are annoying gadgets and if they dont work first time they can make a right mess! ( as I found out!)

Well, all I have done in the past when attempting to use one of those is end up with an explosion of little metal bits that don't go back together.

Thing is stirrup leathers and girth billets and any heavy leather "ought" to be done with an oval, not a round punch.

This again! Oval punch for stirrup leathers and girth billets, always.

Wally, I am glad I am not the only person who exploded her rotating punch. I did however find a use for some of the parts. I think the rubber handle part went on my broken secateurs. :)

We have the bits off one of those hole punches and Dom uses the appropriate size, a piece of board and a hammer.

I did have the local cobbler put holes in for me at one point - but sadly he closed down years ago. At least I bought a punch, was going to just bore a hole into the stirrup leathers and hope for the best!! eeeek!

As I look at the scar and stitch marks still visible on the middle finger of my left hand after 10 years I can honestly say...

-not a sharp knife-

As I look at the scar and stitch marks still visible on the middle finger of my left hand after 10 years I can honestly say...

-not a sharp knife-

Whoops!!

I stabbed myself in the thigh with a sharp awl the other day. I was beading a browband and have a method how I work - awl top and bottom between the layers of leather, stick awl into cushion next to me, pick up needle, attach bead, pick up awl, repeat, in one smooth movement.

Except.....One time I missed the cushion! :help:

newrider.com