Best travel leg wear

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I’m not fan of travel boots at all, they always slip or twist and cause more problems than using nothing! I haven’t booted to travel in 20 years, if it’s a particularly long way (6 hours+) I might use polo wraps and bell boots, or if they’re particularly tired and more likely to stand on themselves.

But I replaced the trailer ramp like for like and it has wooden grips across it, which will be behind monkey’s legs when it’s closed so I feel some protection will be required while he learns how to travel without leaning on everything.

I have a selection of boots, including some travel boots somewhere I think, was thinking maybe shaped bandage pads or hock boots with sports medicine boots and bell boots. But maybe there’s a better design of travel boot now that won’t move on a skinny legged horse with ants in his pants at the best of times?

Don't you have a breech bar at the back? Set at the right height that should stop him touching the ramp.

Of the boot options you give I'd go with hock and sport medicine boots. They won't move and if he's a fidget when you get somewhere you can just take the hock boots off and leave the SM ones on to ride in.

Reactions: Jessey
Don't you have a breech bar at the back? Set at the right height that should stop him touching the ramp.
It’s the old one with straps, so I’m not convinced they’ll hold him far enough forward not to put his leg against the back.
Of the boot options you give I'd go with hock and sport medicine boots. They won't move and if he's a fidget when you get somewhere you can just take the hock boots off and leave the SM ones on to ride in.
I’m happy to get something new if there’s something better out there, I’d have to buy hock boots anyway as never had need of them before.

Reactions: carthorse
I use premier equine travel boots with Robin. I also used them with minto. I have never had an issue with them moving or anything negative. However Robin travels very well.

Soli could never get on with travel
Boots, he would not load terribly well and always seem to stand on them. So I had the long, shaped gamgee pads and stable bandages over the top. He had white legs and prone to injuring himself and the bandages suited him both to keep his legs clean and add as much coverage as possible. Interestingly I use the same travel boots he couldn’t tolerate on robin with no issues. Bandages were a pain tho so if I was just going 10mins for a lesson I put brushing boots and over reach boots on that he would be ridden in.

I use the Stretch and Flex boots or nothing at all. I like the under the heel protection of S&F but they are lighter than other boots.

We are barefoot though, I think I'd want more protection if shod.

Niko is bare too 👍🏻 I do have some s&f schooling wraps I could try but they don’t cover the heel just under the fetlock, do you use the turnout socks? My pro choice smb come right down over the heel on the hinds.

I guess I’d better introduce Niko to things on his legs, he’s never worn any kind of boot at all!

Reactions: PePo
It was years ago when I bought them but I think they are the wraps?

Just thought I would update, I had planned just to use my stretch and flex wraps with bell boots, but happened to stumble across a set of 4 equilibrium turnout chaps for 30 quid on marketplace! They are basically the same but come right down over the coronet so handy to have everything in one and hopefully shouldn't move 🤞🤞

The turnout chaps are great, I used to use them on Bonnie to keep her legs warm in winter. I hope they work for you. I’ve the premier equine travel boots but they aren’t the best fit on Kez. I’d bandage in preference to using them

newrider.com