Best way to introduce grass

jazzybear

Sep 27, 2007
My skinny pony hasnt really had any grass since last november, apart from being grazed in hand for about ten mins twice a day since Ive had her back.

Shes desperate to get out in the field again I think, but I dont want to overdo it. Plus she suffers sweetitch, and with her sores, I think shes going to attract the midges even more :(

Should I put a grazing muzzle on her (shes always been a very good doer) to start with to restrict what she can eat? I dont want her getting colic or lami or anything.

Also I work full time so the only times I can put her out is mornings or evenings - evenings means she gets longer but there are more midges out. Or should I put her out all night with a muzzle on?

Hope this makes sense? x

If she hasn't been grazing properly for some time then I would take it very slowly - especially at this time of year when the grass is starting to get much more lush.
I would start with 1/2hr & then up it daily by 1/2hr each period. A muzzle is probably a sensible idea if she is a good doer. Any horse is likely to stuff themselves if they have not been on grass for some time. Maybe give her 5 mins at the end with it off as a treat.

If you take it nice & slow then there shouldn't be a problem, but as I mentioned take it slow. Rich grass can be a great shock to the system!

If she does come in looking a bit bloated, give her a good walk around (10 mins or so) to keep her insides moving.

Oh forgot to say make sure she has a decent sweet itch rug on too! Evening is probably going to be worse for her. Once you have built some time up you could turn her out ater dark for the whole night.

newrider.com