BHS Stage 1 and 2- hacking jacket vs. sweater

travelr

Mar 1, 2009
Hi! I am about to take my Stage 1 and 2 exams in the same week and can't decide what to wear. I don't currenlty have a hacking jacket and saw that it is an option to wear a sweater but, I don't want to be the only one.

Also, where can I get a decently priced jacket? Are there certain fashions/ color must-have that I need to know about?

Thanks!

I think you will generally give off a much better impression wearing a tweed jacket. Brown or green tweed is the most versatile and also the smartest. Best idea is to go to a saddlery to get an idea of sizes and brands that fit - and then search online for the cheapest deals, unless you are lucky enough to have a saddlery with a good second hand selection.

Caldene do some nice tweeds, as do Mears and TAGG. The TAGG website here often has some good discount deals - www.taggclothing.co.uk

Both my granddaughter and I have taken stages 1 and 2 in recent years. In all the exams some people wore jackets and some sweaters. The smartest looking sweaters were black V neck, and they had the benefit of being very comfortable for both riding and care. A few people wore a jacket for riding and a sweater for care. Go with what you are most comfortable with. If you don't normally wear a jacket, you may prefer to wear a sweater for the exam. If you do opt for a jacket, make sure that you have ridden wearing it, and done all the care tasks with it on before the exam. Jackets can feel bulky if you're not used to them. Remember the examiners are looking for confidence and competence. You need to be dressed smartly and appropriately, but it is not a fashion parade. Good luck:)

You will be allright for Stage 1 in a jumper but for 2 most people wear jackets.

However I assume you are not in the UK as it is not possible anymore to do the two together here due to the time it takes for results to come out so I would ask at the place you are sitting the exams.

Good Luck.

For my Stage 1 I wore a jacket & felt really uncomfortable wearing it, so when I did my stage 2 I wore a sweater & felt much better.
If it helps for both the exams the people in my group were in a mixture of sweaters & jackets :)
Good luck :)

newrider.com