BHS stage 1 help

madlady

Jun 27, 2006
Lancashire
I'm after some (well a lot) of help from all you stage 1ers.

I did my BHS stages over 20 years ago and at the time there were very specific ways of doing things.

My problem now is that I have a student (daughter of a friend) who is wanting to do her stage 1 - the riding side she will have no problems at all and I have been doing a lot of work with her. I just want to make sure though that I am telling her the right things for her theory and practical as I would imagine (and hope) that some things have changed since I did mine and I don't want to teach her the wrong things eg: skipping out - is this still expected to be done by hand into a skip bucket?

Is the general rule still always tie the horse up if you are in stable on your own?

All the general stuff really, I've downloaded the syllabus, can anyone point me toward the right text books to make sure that I'm telling my student the right things for her exam (we haven't put in for it yet btw)

Thanks all.

If you look on the BHS website there are two series of books to cover these exams. One is the official text book, I seem to remember. I have The BHS Training Manual for Stage 2. The other is more a guide. I have The Course Companion for BHS Stage 1.by Maxine Cave. It is an informative guide and very readable. I used the Course Companion myself when doing the course at a local school.

I think I bought the other book, the Training Manual by Islay Auty when I was riding out with girls taking Stage 2 and was testing them as we rode. The Training Manual covers each point in the syllabus and what the examiner is looking for, and how to prepare for the exam. A guide to the exam, as much as on how to look after horses.

I find it hard to choose between them. eml will have up to date views. My real Bible is still the Pony Club manual which was the first book I ever bought.

Sorry just found this post!

Don't overlook that there have been a lot of changes to Stage 1 riding. I personally (unofficial view!) think the new results system has made the whole thing too prescriptive and some candidates are failing who would have passed a few years ago.

Ideally I find my students have to go into 'practice exam' mode for a couple of weeks beforehand so they are used to any exercises that may crop up, particularly in the light seat work which is sometimes done in open order or at least widely spaced ride order. Some bizzarre variations on working with reins in one hand are also found. Worth acouple of visits to the exam centre to find our local practices!

As far as reference books I don't really 'get on' with Maxine Caves but some of my students really like them, Isla Autys is good for defining the sylabus but best buy for you as a trainer is the 'Examinations Handbook' from the BHS, specimen questions etc and regularly updated.

Generally stable management is less prescriptive now as long as safe procedures are carried out, including tying up horse and removing any droppings from a stable you are working in. Most stables provide a skip and fork for this purpose. I don't know anywhere that skips out by hand these days. Many centres will have rubber matting.

newrider.com