BHS stage 1 tips?

chias

May 17, 2004
Visit site
Hi there

I have booked by BHS stage 1 in September. I been riding for 4 years on riding school horses I don’t think there is any problem on my riding part. But is the theory that am unsure about,

guys, can you let me know if you have done the BHS stage 1 theory part, and how long does it take you to do that?
And do you have any tips for me?
And is the DVD from exam series help?

http://www.britishhorse.com/acatalog/bhs_exams_stage_1_dvd_992950.html

much mush appriecated
xxxx

I did my Stage 1 complete in Nov 2007, since done all 2 and 3 and PTT.
The DVD is good to let you know what to expect of the day and how it runs, doesn't really help with the theory of it though.
The BHS Stage one book is good. i didn't to formal training for any of my exams but you need to practice the small things like NOT walking behind your horse, leading correctly, the kind of things you do out of habit. Saftey is the real big thing with the stage exams.
Otherwise it isn't hard at all, just study and try and stay relaxed. The examiners will try and help you with the answers to the theroy by promting you. the practical theory is all about practice until it's second nature.

Good luck let me know how you do. :D

but...

thanks for the reply, i just abit nervous, coz i only have 4 years riding experience and bit and bob that i pick it uo from stable :).

Yes,i have the book, i am planning to read through it, do i need to be memorizes all the detail in book?

how many year of horses experience do you have?

I also found the DVD very helpful-gives you an insight into what the day is like :)
Are you doing the riding?? If you are take it as if you were in a lesson. You ride in lesson format anyway & go round in a "drill" if you like with an instructor in the middle telling you what to do.

Good luck!
xx

yeah I enjoyed the DVD too, see if there's anyone you can borrow a copy off. I pretty much learnt everything in the book and got lots of tips off people who'd taken the exam themselves. At stage 1 the examiners are generally very helpful and want you to do well, they're not trying to catch you out but need to makes sure you reach the required standard.

Can you help out at your RS to practice the practical stuff? Some places run intensive prep days to do just before the exam which might help to get your brain in the BHS way of thinking. If you can afford it and it's not too far, maybe go for a private lesson at the exam centre, if you tell them you're booked on the exam they'll tailor the lesson appropriately and give you some tips on what to work on. It also means you wont be worried about getting lost in the morning of the exam and gives you a chance to see some of the horses you might be riding. I didnt do this for stage 1 as my exam centre was too far away but did for stage 2 and PTT and found it really useful

does it matter??...

Got to be honest i have only start riding for 4 years. i just want to take up BHS exam, i think i will enjoy teaching :), and does it matter how many years of riding experience you have?

I have finished the whole book on BHS stage 1, but i still feel not know enough which a bit worrying.

1. Do we need to know all the different part of the horse by heart?
  2. Do we need to know the colour of the horse like appoloosa , Dapple, piebold, skewbold?
  3. Type of straw? Wheat, Barley, and Oat, I google the picture online, :'( and it all looks the same to me....

looks like is really difficult.

The amount of time you've been riding doesnt matter at all. What matters more if what you've been doing during that time, 4 years of once a week riding at an RS where all you do is turn up and ride is very different to 4 years of sharing/ loaning/ owning a horse or riding 3 to 4 times a week including doing plenty of horse care. Plus everyone learns at different rates, some people can master rising trot in their first lesson, others take months (no joke, I've taught people that just dont get it!) So I wouldnt worry about how long you've been riding, have you talking to you instructor about taking the exam? They should be able to tell you if they think you'll be ready.

Yes you will need to know all the points of the horse and the colours, it's just a case of memorising and practising pointing them out on different horses. With colours, just see if you can name the colour of every horse you see! As for the straw, that's a bit more tricky to spot unless you see it for real, maybe try a few different yards locally and see if they use any different types. Ask if you can take a handfull of each and keep them in jars so you can test yourself later. This is how I learnt to spot different feeds, although all our samples were old and gross and most definitely didnt smell fresh!

I been riding for 4 years, mostly 2-3 time a weeks and lot of PL lessons. I know how to do grooming, tad up, macking up, catch horse.

my instructor told me i have no problem on riding, just need to brush up on the managment side. Hence, this thread.

Yes, will try to memories all the part and the colour.

you know what i always feel inadequate compare to the youngest in the stable. guess thats just old age really, it does affect confident :)

how long you have been teaching sofi?

I dont actually teach at the moment as I work full time and prefer to keep my horsey time just to me! Although I do coach a couple of kids at my yard and help out at shows and stuff, just dont charge because I find it too much fun.

I taught from the age of 16 onwards while I was working through my exams and then during the holidays from uni, only have stage one and two plus PTT so not an AI. Keep meaning to get back on with stage three now I've finished uni but there's never any time... Also spent two summers in the US teaching riding at a summer camp.

I coached a couple of girls at my yard towards their stage one during one summer between uni so I'd like to think I have some experience in the preparation for it but things may have change slightly and I'm far from an expert!

I know it's difficult not to compare yourself to other people and all those young, self confident teenagers but I can honestly say all their apparent self confidence is probably just a cover up for being just as nervous as you are! The best advice I can give is learn the book stuff thoroughly and then practice as much as possible, practice describing things like mucking out because it's a bit different to actually doing it. One girl in my test actually described mucking out in great depth and then the examiner asked 'did you forget anything' and she'd forgotten to say you need a wheelbarrow! But it didnt matter, we all giggled about it and I guess the examiner can assume you know you need a wheelbarrow and that she'd just forgotten. They are generally really friendly at stage one and want you to do well. I remember there being a big age mix at my exams so you shouldnt worry about being the oldest or anything like that!

I come from a family where great emphasis was put on doing well in exams.
I have ridden for years with young women taking their stages. And sometimes failing part of them.
Stage 1 is designed to be pretty easy, not necessarilly for people who intend to make horses their career.
But my view is that as with any exam, it is not enough to just reead the book. You need to study and remember and revise the theory. Get friends or family to test you. Give accurate answers and where there may be a choice (I remember rugging a horse) know the advantages and drawbacks of each.
None of the people i rode with ever failed Stage1 theory but they had put in the work - usually a year working. Tho one yard near us took in graduate students (used to studying) who did all three stages within one year.

The Stage 1 riding is more chancey. You will be on a horse you do not know (unless you learn at the test centre). So that is something to practise. But the results are as seen by one examiner and not always what one might expect. Years ago an experienced rider on this forum who owned a young horse but had also completed the BHS Satage 1 course at the test centre failed her Stage 1 ridden. because she was the best rider she had been allotted the most difficult of the horses.
I had visited her, and she was a lovely rider. Her failure remained completely inexplicable and has made me always reasure the candidates I know that they should not be downhearted by any failure but should retake.

I come from a family where great emphasis was put on doing well in exams.
I have ridden for years with young women taking their stages. And sometimes failing part of them.
Stage 1 is designed to be pretty easy, not necessarilly for people who intend to make horses their career.
But my view is that as with any exam, it is not enough to just reead the book. You need to study and remember and revise the theory. Get friends or family to test you. Give accurate answers and where there may be a choice (I remember rugging a horse) know the advantages and drawbacks of each.
None of the people i rode with ever failed Stage1 theory but they had put in the work - usually a year working. Tho one yard near us took in graduate students (used to studying) who did all three stages within one year.

The Stage 1 riding is more chancey. You will be on a horse you do not know (unless you learn at the test centre). So that is something to practise. But the results are as seen by one examiner and not always what one might expect. Years ago an experienced rider on this forum who owned a young horse but had also completed the BHS Satage 1 course at the test centre failed her Stage 1 ridden. because she was the best rider she had been allotted the most difficult of the horses.
I had visited her, and she was a lovely rider. Her failure remained completely inexplicable and has made me always reasure the candidates I know that they should not be downhearted by any failure but should retake.

That’s really tough!

We swapped partway through the session so they saw us on two horses. And apart from one horse that had a bit of a buck all the horses were fairly straightforward. I did head to the centre where the assessment was the week before just to get a sense of it and ride some of the horses that would likely be used for the assessment - I would definitely recommend that!

I agree that you need to put the effort in on the theory side. The resources available are very good for making sure you know what they are looking for! Xx

newrider.com