big decision: changing yards & trainers (sorry long)

Susara

Feb 5, 2004
South Africa
Visit site
I've been posting a few times here, trying to clarify the conflicting instruction I've received from my regular instructor and what I call my 'moonlight' instructor - a guy I started taking extra lessons from because my regular instructor didn't have time for weekend lessons.

My regular instructor and I have a great relationship; she's good but not terribly strict, riding with her is work but fun. She's way better (in the sense of focussing on details and correct riding) than any other instructor I've ever had and I always thought she'd be the best I could ever get.

Then I started taking lessons from this guy. Older generation, military background, and there's only one way to do something: perfect. He is very classically orientated, focuses on the smallest details, and is quite demanding. I've come to realise that I want to ride the way he teaches; as good as what the girl is, she's simply not in his class. And I want to teach my youngster, which we're busy backing, according to his principles. Why didn't my regular trainer, or any of the other trainers I've had, ever bother teaching me about weight shifting? Why don't they bother with improving my seat? I can halt my youngster from the walk by simply breathing in! I always thought one had to be a top class dressage rider on a school master to do things like that; here I could do it on my untrained baby.

So I've made the desicion to move yards. Down side is that I'm a bit nervous of this new instructor. A post last week on me considering to quit riding was, I now realise, a direct result from his very high standards and me feeling so down after one of his lessons. But the two of us have had a hart-to-hart chat, and I hope we're understanding each other better.

Going to feel like a dog to tell my girl instructor that I'm leaving. Not sure what excuse I should give. She's helped me a lot. I've been at the yard for 5 years.

Anyone else had situations like these?

Well, its great that you have found something that suits you! He sounds like a brilliant instructor! It is best to go with the one who can teach you the most, and take you great places, but you must feel comfortable with your intructor! Good luck! Have had a similar situation, and I became a much better rider once I moved yards!

it's great you have found someone to teach you this.. especially if you are teaching young horses. i've recently found someone like this and it has made SUCH a difference in my riding and my horse's training/happiness. there are days where i feel discouraged too since it's not all "feel good" stuff. it's new and feels like i'm a total beginner again some days. but look towards where you will go not each day. :)
and i'd be honest with your old instructor, while making sure she knows you value everything she has taught you. good luck!

There is a saying that when the pupil is ready, the teacher appears.
Maybe at different times in life, different people are right for us. Doesnt mean the first person you had was any less valuable.
Good luck.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Apart from being a bit nervous about how me and the new instructor will get along in the long run, I am very sad at leaving my current yard. I've come with them for such a long time. Some of the teenagers jumping 1.2m courses now used to be little skinny leggy youngsters when I joined. These people have been with me when I got my first horse, supported me in the time when I had to decide to retire him, were with me when I had to put him down. I got my new baby from them, and I've backed him very slowly under my current trainer's instruction.

One builds a special bond with trainers and with the people at your yard, don't you?

But yes, I do think it's time for a change, and I'm looking forward to it.

Well, this guy must have impressed you - to change yards as well as teachers! Its a big move changing yards, OH and I have just done that - things are working out well for us, its been the best thing we ever did with the horses up to now - the old yard had so many drawbacks. I guess you couldn't stay on your current yard and have this guy teach you - that would be rather embarrasing!! You'll just have to think of a "nice" way to tell your current teacher. Good luck whatever happens!:)

mad mares mum here............... I remeber having an instructor like the one you have just found and feeling exactly the same about changing yards instructors etc, but I was honest and explained that whilst my old instructor had taught me the basics and I was grateful to her for her time and effort and expertise, I felt that the time had come for me to seek out someone more advanced and after long and careful thought I approached her with this, turns out she was having the same thoughts about telling me it was time for me to find a new instructor because she felt the same way! We still are great friends and she even came with me to talk to my new instructor about what we had done, and the level we had reached, it worked out in the end but good luck and lucky you finding someone who wants to help you in this way xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

newrider.com