Bin Laden !

candyflosspot

bossy boots
Sep 7, 2010
Sheffield
so apparently the US military have hunted down him & his son and as such are now dead.

When i first heard the story this morning , its fair to say i was very dubious about it all, and i personally had a hard enough time believing that it was Saddam being hung and that was televised.. :unsure:

After thinking about it all day after initially thinking the whole thing was very suspicious (im sure i have read in the past that like saddam he has "clones") , i now think that its probably true as the US government wouldnt want him popping up on the TV in the not so distant future would they? Although i am still suspicious of the fact they just chucked his body away in the ocean..

Not sure why the US government don't want his body in the states (not buying the "shrine story" though , as people will still make him out to be a martyr whether in the states or not.., and set up shrines anyway if they wish too :unsure:) i personally would have at least like to have seen a photograph of him dead, even if it was not pleasant to look at.. that's just my own feelings though. Its fair to say i have a strong stomach for that kind of thing and appreciate that not everyone has and people don't want to see dead bodies..

I think its safe to say that we (the UK/and USA) can now expect some sort of retaliation from Al-Qaeda in the future.

I am glad that he is dead, but unfortunately terrorist acts wont stop just because he is dead.. He will have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th in command etc who will just carry on .

what's everyone else's opinion?

He was asked to surrender but did not so was shot in the head.

There would probably be greater uprising if he was brought to the US and tried in a court. It would just be too humiliating for Al Qaeda.

There were photos on Sky News today of his dead body and I must say (although he had no eyes left) it did look very much like him. The US will have DNA or something to prove it I'm sure. They had intelligence since last October that he was living where they shot him apparently.

He has been buried at sea already.

Justice has been served for all those that lost their lives and all those who lost their loved ones on 9/11.

I think Colonel Gaddafi will be feeling a bit jittery at the moment!!

I have mixed feelings too.

I feel a little uncomfortable that the death of someone is being somewhat celebrated by some. The best thing for these types of people and terrorists is to have as little media coverage as possible. The sight of parties in some parts of the world will just rile up his allies the same as celebrations of the twin towers being brought down riled us.

I can see it creating more war and terror, not less.

But what WAS the answer though? Arrest him and take him to the US to face terrorist charges? That would have just dragged on as it did for Saddam, turning everything into a circus.

I'm a way, I am glad he's dead but in another way, I do worry what the future will bring.

There would probably be greater uprising if he was brought to the US and tried in a court. It would just be too humiliating for Al Qaeda.

There were photos on Sky News today of his dead body and I must say (although he had no eyes left) it did look very much like him. The US will have DNA or something to prove it I'm sure. They had intelligence since last October that he was living where they shot him apparently.

Justice has been served for all those that lost their lives and all those who lost their loved ones on 9/11.

^^
This

Agree!

I am very pleased he is dead, one of the reasons they could not bring him to justice was the reprisals for ordinary people working in war torn countries, or any country given that, they would be held hostage for the release of bin laden. Which America could not do, so innocent people would suffer. It's good there is not grave, nowhere for people to worship, no where for anyone to try and steal his body.

I am very annoyed that he was found in a posh housing area of Pakistan though, you can not believe that no one knew he was there! I wonder what the long term repercussions for them will be now.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" - Martin Luther King, Jr.

This weekend, brought to you by Disney, the Prince married and the bad guy bought it.

It sits very badly with me, all this hysterical celebration of his death, no good will come of it.

Every now and again, you get someone in life who is not just a good leader but who inspires people to act.

If you take out that person you no doubt will get another person step up in his place to organise, but can they inspire? Then you'll also get the smalll people with no organisation who take it upon themselves to seek reprisal.

I am concerned about what happens next. I'm also concerned about how this country is seen by the rest of the world. We don't just defend our country, we see it as acceptable to try to impose our values (or lack of them) on every other country. For such a small country we've been involved in a proportionately huge amount of conflict and I'm not comfortable with this. If we stood back we'd at least give others more chance to realise they have to do something or that we are being too hastey. Is it any wonder we are a target for nutters out there?

I saw a documentary last year, which made out the whole affair was faked, and that he and the terrorist group didn't really exist, he was just a ploy to allow America to enter Afghanistan.. seems they don't need much of an excuse these days, just the threat of loosing valuable oil supplies..

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" - Martin Luther King, Jr.

It sits very badly with me, all this hysterical celebration of his death, no good will come of it.

I agree W.
Whilst not demeaning those many thousands that have died through terrorist activity, this is simply stirring the hornest nest. Bin Laden may have been the martyred figurehead, but I believe there are many cells who will use his death as an excuse for reprisals against the west.

I agree W.
Whilst not demeaning those many thousands that have died through terrorist activity, this is simply stirring the hornest nest. Bin Laden may have been the martyred figurehead, but I believe there are many cells who will use his death as an excuse for reprisals against the west.

I agree with candyflosspot - the whole story is very fishy. And there has always been something about Bin Laden that reminded me of Goldstein, the hate figure in 1984 ...

I think that sort of summary 'justice' was quite wrong, and very bad for the US and for Obama. Bin Laden should have been taken alive, and properly tried and convicted.

I think that sort of summary 'justice' was quite wrong, and very bad for the US and for Obama. Bin Laden should have been taken alive, and properly tried and convicted.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. I imagine his followers would have done anything to get him back...I dont think the US would have wanted the possibility of civilians being kidnapped to barter for Bin Laden's release.

This weekend, brought to you by Disney, the Prince married and the bad guy bought it.

I agree with your sentiment Wally, the celebration of his death does not sit comfortably with me either, just like the celebrations after the twin towers fell made me want to vomit. However, I imagine some good has come of his death, namely those whose loved ones died in the terror attacks he orchastrated feeling some kind of justice has been done, or simply closure.

I fear what will come of this, and what retribution his followers may wish to take. Those saying that this is the 'end of terrorism' or will 'reduced the threat' are deluded....I am sure Bin Laden has not been the man in charge for some time.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. I imagine his followers would have done anything to get him back...I dont think the US would have wanted the possibility of civilians being kidnapped to barter for Bin Laden's release.

I agree with your sentiment Wally, the celebration of his death does not sit comfortably with me either, just like the celebrations after the twin towers fell made me want to vomit. However, I imagine some good has come of his death, namely those whose loved ones died in the terror attacks he orchastrated feeling some kind of justice has been done, or simply closure.

I fear what will come of this, and what retribution his followers may wish to take. Those saying that this is the 'end of terrorism' or will 'reduced the threat' are deluded....I am sure Bin Laden has not been the man in charge for some time.

totally agree with this..why people think that because he is dead, that all terrorism will end is beyond me :unsure:

Its also come at a good time for Obama .. secures his position as president for next years elections doesnt it?

I agree with candyflosspot - the whole story is very fishy. And there has always been something about Bin Laden that reminded me of Goldstein, the hate figure in 1984 ...

He most certainly would not have got a fair trial though LindaAd..i just cant get my head around the throwing the body in the sea bit.. its an odd thing to do.

Thanks to the posters who mentioned about the bin laden photo.. i did not realise that a pic had been released. All & sundry have since posted on their FB accounts.. :mask:

I agree with Martin Luther Kings' comment, which Wally posted. There is enough hatred in the world, and this killing will only add to it. As Ghandi said "an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind".

When I heard the news I didn't feel happy about it, in fact the opposite. I don't believe "justice" like this solves anything, it will just give the terrorists more reason to carry out further attacks. I am not totally naive, and know there is no easy or short term answer to the conflicts there are in the world, but I think that what countries like the UK and USA have done to others must play some part in why they feel the need to carry out their atrocities. Nothing happens without a reason. The distribution of wealth and power in the world is very enequal, and we lucky ones in the first world have benefitted for too long from the labours of the poor people of the third world who have no voice. I am, of course, not for one moment excusing the people who carry out their terrible acts, which cause such misery, just trying to make sense of why they do it.

newrider.com