bit advice needed

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
I've ridden Peds in a French link full cheek snaffle for the last three years. He went into this bit on the recommendation of an instructor I had at the time as I had steering problems in the school.

He is much better now though and steers a lot more through my leg than my hand now (practiced this the other day in the school by guiding him with no rein contact and he was great!)

So I think it might be time to ditch the full cheek, but what do I go for?

I'm thinking of keeping the same mouth piece as he seems to be happy in it, so I guess my options are loose ring, D ring, eggbut, or hanging cheek.

I'm not all that educated on bits so could really do with some help!

I'd probably go for an eggbutt ring if you can so you've still got a fixed ring similar to what he's been used to and it will still help with turning if need be.
I guess the D ring is another option for the same reason, but tbh I only suggested the eggbutt first because I think they are easier to come by - but that might only be me commenting from the point of view of chasing for a bigger sized bit. The options are limited at my end of the scale!

I would go with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" theory, why do you want to change it? if you just want to ditch the full cheek look, the D ring gives more of a steering effect than a loose ring or eggbutt. The hanging cheek is meant to stabilize the mouth piece so I wouldn't go that route if he is happy as he is

A D ring is a compromise between full cheek and the eggbutt.
It still gives you assistance steering but less than the full cheek.

I agree with the if it's not broke don't fix, but as the horses education changes so does his or her tack?

Our fell is in a happy mouth fulmer snaffle, she goes well in it so wouldnt change it. My dales was broken in a loose ring and then was changed to a d ring. If you were wanting to change to something along the same lines then a d ring would be my choice although I personally would only change if you had reason to.x

I guess I just always thought of the full cheek as being a training aid that we would change when he no longer needed it.

I'll run it by my instructor next time I have a lesson. (had hoped to have one organised before I went back to work but she's not replied to my message yet)

Lacy is in a full cheek but I am shortly changing her to a loose ring snaffle with the same mouthpiece. Reason being that I want more sensitive communication with her then what a fixed cheek can offer. I think it is down to personal choice though. We have a eggbutt on our in hand show bridle as it looks neater

Full cheeks are useful for teaching youngsters about steering. I used to use them for that but once they'd got the idea of left and right I'd change them into say a loose ring French link or something similar.

I started my baby in an Egbutt French link, but he went through a very baby nappy stage. So I too have him in a full cheek French link snaffle now.

I don't want him to stay in this as I don't think you get refinement with this bit, As mentioned it is the means to an end. It educates the young horse about what steering is all about, Guiding him gently to begin with until he is a little more educated. I will keep him in this bit until I am certain he truly understands about steering and has grown out of napping. I feel you get a very "unsophisticated" feel back through the reins with them.

I will go back to my French link Egbutt, unless another problem raises its head on the way.

newrider.com