Bit advice please - what would you put her in?

Twigletz7

would rather be riding...
Jan 3, 2007
Devon
Hi bit of NR advice needed please!

I am once again pondering Misti's bitting arrangement. She is normally ridden in a frenchlink eggbutt (stainless steel) but she is quite tense in her jaw and really chomps on the bit.

I tried her in a loose ring fulmer single jointed snaffle, mainly to see whether the loose ring would encourage her to relax her jaw, but I didn't really notice much difference.

I was thinking of maybe a sweet iron french link with a copper peanut as I've heard these can help encourage a horse to accept the bit, but I'm not sure that this is the way forward as she has quite a big fleshy tongue:eek: and as far am I'm aware french link lays pressure across the tongue:confused: (feel free to correct me!)

So any ideas for a compatible bit??

A thin sweet iron French link would be worth a try I'd have thought :) I don't think French links put pressure on the tongue particularly unless they are the Dr Bristol type & have a central plate rather than a nugget or a bone-shaped link. A happy mouth might also be worth a try, Flynn can be very champy and unsettled in his mouth & is a lot less fussy in a happy mouth snaffle so I sometimes use one for dressage. The trouble is that I have no brakes so his usual sweet iron French link has to go back in for jumping :eek:

I don't want to fall into the trap of thinking that the answer for Joy was the answer for all but...

I found that Joy wasn't happy in a jointed bit.

Experiment with whatever you can borrow but don't rule out the unjointed ones.

Myler bits are made out of sweet iron, encouraging horses to salivate and relax their jaws. They are designed to relieve discomfort from pressure in the mouth on the tongue. One would, I think, suit your horse - you can find out here:

http://www.themylerbitbank.co.uk/#features

x

They are expensive though, I wouldn't buy one without trying first. Flynn hates Mylers and KKs, although in theory they should both work really well for him :rolleyes:

They are expensive though, I wouldn't buy one without trying first. Flynn hates Mylers and KKs, although in theory they should both work really well for him :rolleyes:

My horse does too, funnily enough. The bit she always seems happy with is the loose ring sweet iron with a lozenge. Costs about £11.She's not usually a girl with cheap taste.:rolleyes:

newrider.com