Bit advice please?

Misteeq

Aug 24, 2006
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any advice please.

My pony doesn't seem particularly happy in his bit at the moment as he quite often puts his head high in the air with his mouth open wide. It looks as if he is trying to put his tongue over the bit.

He is currently ridden in a happy mouth straight bar pelham. This was recommended to me after he was proving to be a little strong in the snaffle. I also found in the snaffle that he would lean a lot and as I'm only tiny, he would quite often tip me out of the saddle. Also a friend said to me that Connemara's seem to prefer a straight mouth bit as they have a low pallet.

I'm not sure if he is evading the bit or is genuinely not happy. He has recently had his back checked and a new saddle that fits him perfectly. His teeth were done in April and he loves being ridden. He doesn't show any signs of discomfort and is responsive to my aids. He never bucks or takes off, so I'm not sure what is going on to be honest.

I wasn't keen to change to the pelham to be honest as he is only 5, but I have found that he doesn't lean like he used to with the snaffle and is a lot lighter in my hands.

Do you think that he could be evading the bit because of the poll pressure?

I'm really want him to be happy and relaxed in the mouth, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Have you tried a Dr.Cook bitless bridle?
They are a marvelous invention. My boy used to run and hide at the back of the stable when you tried to put on a bitted bridle and now he actaully winnies to me when he sees the saddle and falls asleep while I put the bridle on.

It you want more info go to,
http://www.bitlessbridle.co.uk/

He was also very unhappy and tense before it. Here is a before and after of him.

(beofre)
Riding Jay

(after)
Bitless Jay

They are excellent for horses who evade the bit because however high or low hey put their heads they can't avoid the aid but it causes them no harm or/and pain.

ditto get teeth checked and i wouldnt resort to going bitless yet.

i dont like happy mouth bits, they arent actually as kind as they seem (rough, dry etc) and i would try him in a steel version if you can get hold of one to try :)

you can get straight bar snaffles, so if its just the mouthpiece he prefers i would try that and see if you can downgrade back to a snaffle :).

newrider.com