Bit of a situation (I have returned!)

shockblue

Oct 8, 2009
Derbyshire
www.ponytailsjewellery.co.uk
Hi all

I haven't been around much this year as I have been focusing on work and my life in general. I have also been enjoying my horse and made lots of progress confidence wise.

I have been struggling financially this year too which I why I am focusing on my work life a lot. I have been successful you will be pleased to hear. I have finally, after 3 years, managed to convince my employers to send my to university and help me complete a professional review. So the next 4 years of my life are going to be very hard but worth it at the end. It is something I want so badly.

Horsewise I have really enjoying myself. I am happy plodding along and doing things the way I want to do them. I don't need anything fancy to enjoy my horse, just a field and the basics. I have had a lot of freedom over the past 3 years or so in my field. It's beautiful and I have put in a lot of work and the YO was happy for my to do my own thing for just basic livery £15/week. I have set up a paddock paradise track, I strim every thing myself, keep the ragwort under control, bought my own shelter, manage the grass, buy my own hay, lift water from the brook so I'm not using the yards water, all the fencing is mine and done properly too and maintained.

However my bit of paradise is being threatened. My YO got a divorce and her husband got the yard :( he has increased my livery to £30 a week. And when you are barely getting by financially already this is such a huge leap!!!

I am really stressed out. I doubt I will sleep much tonight worrying about how I will cope at university and financially with the horse and much reduced hours to spend with her.

The yard she is at is also about 40 mins drive from my home. I have compromised this negative point purely for the fact that the situation with me being able to have free rein in the field, WAS affordable and it's also on my way home from work, I also get a lot of help from a really good friend who has said she will take care of Maya whilst I am at university.

So I would move her like a flash if I could find somewhere basic near to home at about £15-£20 per week if it weren't for my very good friend. To be honest she is about the only friend I have and I would really miss her :( she bought a small pony as a companion to my mare before buying her own rideable one just as a nice gesture to me.

I have posted on preloved looking for basic livery close to home. I have had one response and am hoping to go and have a look this week. I am also meeting my friend on Friday to see if she can come up with anything. So that's my plan so far.

I just don't want to have to worry about this sort of stuff when I start university as that is my main priority for the next four years. I have considered selling/long term loan/companion homes too but not sure I could live without her even if it was just for a few years.

Anyway thank you for reading my tale of woe. Here is a photo from this evening in my little bit of paradise, sat bareback and bridleless on my lovely Maya, this is my ideal summers evening.

379797_10152755806580335_247333334_n.jpg

and a shot of Maya in the bareback pad.

521817_10152721117175335_609977870_n.jpg

I am in a similar situation to you. I am having big financial struggles and last year my YO died after 12 years of me doing DIY in a cheap rental situation.

To say I lost sleep would be an understatement, it came at such a bad time and I really didn't know what the hell I was going to do with three horses and no money:eek:

I took it month by month, day by day and sometimes hour by hour, positively resolute I was not going to part with the horses.

I found somewhere else this February and actually it is better than where I was before in many aspects. The fencing is brilliant and the new people are very keen to help with pasture management. Its nearer to home and the hacking is good. I also have access to quite a lot of private land/woods. Its amazing and I can't believe my luck tbh.

I was ill all winter, its an on going thing that wont go away so I have to learn to live with it. I am just at the point of being able to start looking for a part time job.

I am unskilled and haven't worked in years so finding a job is no easy task in the present climate, but I will get there.

I have literally had to beg and borrow off relatives to keep me going, ghastly:frown: I can't claim benefits either because my husband earns too much but his money is tied up in other things. I have been lucky that things have just 'popped up out of the blue'. I have sold stuff, left right and centre, changed my car, sold my horsebox, sifted through the loft etc, anything, so long as my horses are ok.

It sounds like you have come a long way and are getting on the path to achievement. All I can say is, don't give up, take it day by day, do what you can and wait. Something will turn up. It is hugely stressful I know.

I don't think we are on our own either, I know a few people who are struggling.

This sounds really mean, but I expect he has his own problems too ... Could you find out what the weekly field rent is near you, and ask him to reduce it? Or would finding another horse to share be an option?

SB Its lovely to see you back on here and Maya is looking really well- she's always been a horse that stands out with her colouring, I'm glad you're both doing well confidence wise.
It sucks about your situation re the field, but good to hear that your employer is sending you to uni - what are going to be studying?

I can empathise completely. I'm I a similar situation with a potential studying return come August time and at the moment I don't know how I'm going to afford it without having to move my horse. Flipo is my rock, and if he's happy, I'm happy. Where I have him now, I know he's well cared for, I've got help for when I'm studying and he's content. I am worried about moving him and I really don't want to. It's going to be hard work studying over the next three years so I'd really still like my rock to be there, no chance of me getting rid, but the fear of money problems does worry me.
It sounds like you're considering the right options. It sucks that you might lose a friends help and companionship if you move, but don't give up yet, you never know what might turn up - could your friend consider moving aswell if her rent has been put up?

Last edited:
Ahh the lovely Maya, she is a beautiful girl!! :inlove:

Sorry to hear about your field woe's...i know how happy you are there so thats really sad :(

Really do hope you find a solultion, its horrid when someone else can just send your world crashing :frown:

On another note...i thought i was the only one who used natural brook water, but nice to know that you do the same...our horsey neighbours think im a little mad...but the horses seem to prefer it to tap water! :giggle:

and congrats on the uni thing, i wish i could be a bit more career motivated lol!! :tongue:

Thank you guys! Boy has today been a busy day. I have been to look at yard 7 mins from my house. It is even cheaper than what I pay at the moment but for a good reason. It needs alot of work! Luckily I have lots of fencing etc and don't mind putting in a bit of time to fix a leaky stable etc.

So at least I have somewhere to go. It is close to home which will be a lovely and a nice change. I am so used to her being far away. I am having feelings of nervousness as I don't know anyone this way but I think it will be good. Part of my new life!!

I think things happen for a reason and I think I have managed to turn it around positively. This was maybe the push I needed for my benefit. My OH is thrilled as he has always said even though I have been living here for 5 years its like I haven't actually fully moved in so now my horse is here it will be the final bit moved in.

I am going to sell my Protech field shelter so if you know anyone looking please let me know its a fab shelter but the new yard has a shelter and a stable.

I will also be slowly moving stuff over this month bit by bit. Its amazing how much you accumulate over the years.

Yes things happen for a reason.

I recall moving from my first field after five years, it was time to move on but leaving behind familiarity was hard.
It wasn't big enough anymore, just one snfpd half acres no where big enough to school.

newrider.com