Bit recommendations for youngster & WH Ultra Soft

Asima

May 17, 2008
Wales
I'll be introducing Lilly to the bit in a few months and was wondering what bits you used?

I'm thinking a happy mouth bit but am not sure whether to go for a straight bar or a mouth roller, loose ring (thought it'd get her mouthing more) ,which do you think is better?
And I know a few people who keep them in these bits then, do you this?

My last youngster, my grandfather backed was introduced to a metal loose ring snaffle straight away but that was a good few years ago.

I was thinking if I did use a metal bit I's use the WH Ultra Soft, has anyone used it? & is it any good?

As you can see I'm very indecisive so any help would be apprciated

Last edited:
i would go for a metal bit first, its more comfortable in their mouth. if the horse doesnt salivate then the happy mouth material can drag in their mouth and be uncomfy.

if its just introducing the bit (just put bridle on in stable and leave for a few minutes) rather than lunging/long reining then we use 'keyed' bits to encourage them to play.
could also use a bit with copper or sweet iron which is warmer in their mouth.
after the introduction we put them in a plain jointed eggbutt snaffle for 'work' (leading/lunging etc) some horses dont like them so then you move onto a frenchlink to stop the nut cracker action.

to help with steering you can use a bit with full cheeks.

basically my advice is go for a simple metal bit and avoid happy mouths until you hit a definite problem that cant be solved with bribery (apple sauce/mollasses on the bit to aid acceptance to start with, not a long term solution)

good luck :)

newrider.com