Biting

Sunshine

May 25, 2020
Chesterfiled
My 11yr old pony has started nipping... and it hurts.
I think he is after treats and food so he is on a total treat ban and I’ve told the kids to stop hand feeding him. We are also trying to work on his ground manners as he can be rude and bolshey.
Any advise on how to nip this in the bud and how to teach manners as I think we are slipping

Watch him all the time you're handling him, he has to be what you're focused on not something you do while thinking about something else. If you see him start to turn to nip then put the flat of your hand on the side of his face and push it away with a firm - not shouted - no. If he gets a nip in you've been too slow or not paid attention! To groom it may be better to tie up for now until you're more on top of him.

Rude and bargey are treated in a similar way, with the emphasis on you being aware enough that you correct him as he thinks about it not wait until he's done it. Watch him, keep a headcollar and leadrope on for now when you handle him and if he threatens to barge into you then big body language, a firm step towards him and a sharp get back coupled with a firm poke to the chest (poke don't push, horses move into pressure so sustained pushes will just make him push back and he'll win every time).

You need to be consistent. The rules are the rules all day every day, not just when you can be bothered to enforce them. And don't forget to praise him when he's being good or gets it right, for example stepping back when asked politely.

I have what used to be a very rude bargy cob (pleased to say he's much better now!) Agree with carthorse, and would only add if there's barging too, an elbow is very handy, worked a treat, one in the tummy as he swung round to squash me did the trick. Mind, I do have sharp elbows! Mine happens to respond particularly well to verbal admonishment, and needless to say, titbits are few and far between!

Thank you... I do use the elbow esp when leading him, in his chest... and the majority of the time he behaves...

Thank you for the tips carthorse re nipping.. I am doing these so will be firmer and sharper with my reactions. I’ve just spoken to my daughters who have been told no treats or hand feeding and no muzzle fusses ( which I think is the issue)

His nipping is worse when in the field, he isn’t as bad when on halter or tacked up x

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com