Bitless Bridles

Nov 18, 2018
I've been riding Kiska on a nylon halter with rains attached, for the past month. and she is listening a lot better, with less head tossing. But I was thinking of wandering into the world of bitless bridles, hackamores, etc. Advice? Experience?

Jane&Ziggy

Learning together!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
When my very sensitive ex-racer Arab was still ridden, he went in a Dr Cook's beta thane bridle, a side pull. He liked it very much and went sweetly with no head tossing or bobbing. He was in an English hackamore when I got him, but as he was so sensitive to your seat that he never had braking issues I didn't think he needed the leverage of the hackamore.

Pete's Mum

Jun 4, 2014
My boy definitely goes better bitless - but not all bitless bridles are made equal & like bits, different styles will have different pressure.

Mine hated the Dr Cook, loved his sidepull but found I struggled with faster work or hacking it, but loves his orbitless & I have enough control to keep us both safe - you can alter the ring it's on so I can school in the minimal setting akin to a sidepull but can drop it down a ring to hack :) . He's not good with poll pressure (he'll rear) so not tried any of the traditional hackamore's which can be very harsh.

Jane&Ziggy

Learning together!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Somewhere on here there's a thread which tells you how to adapt a halter to try the different kinds of pressure the different bitless bridles use. Let me have a look and see if I can find it on this new site!

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I also have the 'circle' hackamores, similar to the orbitless type. I've tried most other types of bitless but prefer this type.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Another 'orbitless' fan here, have to say though that while Belle schooled beautifully in it, hacking was an entirely different story in anything other than walk! :eek: