bits and bridles! What do you use?

flash noseband (which I want to take off)
currently trying a straight bar happy mouth bit (which he seems happy in)
a running martingale (that I'm going to get rid of)

I prefer plain reins to any other type.

Well! I have not started a thread for a while (and i am in need of some NR converstaion)

What bit and bridle do you ride in and why?

I use a 3 ring Dutch Gag and Grackle bridle as large beast is rather 'sharp' and i need brakes.

Also use a standing martingale.

.....where do you fasten your standing martingale?

I use on my ardennes normal cavesson bridle, don't bother with the nose band with a waterford fulmer and rubber reins. my Criollo has a Western bridle with western bit and split reins. my OH horse has a western bridle with french link eggbutt and rope reins.

Zebedee, neue schule cartwheel bit, cavesson nose band, no martingale, continental reins.

Bertie, kimblewick without curb chain, just wanted the low port mouth piece, cavesson nose band, no martingale, contiental reins.

Good point!! I have mis-informed you :p

Standing martingale is used when i go hunting and then he wears his hunter bridle, so martingale is attatched to the bridle as usual!

Ahhhhhhh :p I was wondering where on earth the martingale went :p

I use a cavesson and flash with a rubber snaffle on my "dressage" horse. My ex-SJ horse goes in a grackle and a plastic coated gag on the snaffle ring (because he prefers the mouthpiece and I haven't got one in a plain snaffle!), gets dropped a hole for jumping sometimes if he's getting strong. He does dressage in a hanging snaffle and cavesson and flash. My now-retired horse went in a medium thickness hollow mouthed loose ring snaffle (hunted the length and rbeadth of the country to find it! Awkward horse!) and cavesson. Running martingale on all three for jumping, more so I had a neckstrap than anything else :p

Simple bridle, no nose band and french link snaffle (not the actual bit type, but fastened at a simple snaffle)

Although hoping to potter about more in a headcollar now in our little field :) we dont do any showing, and I dont often ride her - so when I do we like to just amble about and nosey at things :)

Just seen your pics, lovely by the way x
Who is the Chestnut?

Thanks :) I have two chestnuts - the jumping ones taken today in the thread "Piccies" is Rocky, my ex-showjumping TB who is now on loan to a mother/daughter share (Stays at my yard though) and the big chestnut is my "dressage" horse (I put it like that as that is our primary aim, though he is no flashy warmblood!) called Alfie :D

I ride in a french-link hanging cheek because the previous owner said he went nicely in a gag and I want him to go nicely in a basic snaffle so I thought this bit might offer a bit of middle ground to start on.

Plain cavesson noseband with no attachment and no martingale, plain reins (although I would prefer continental!)

All seems well so far but we are hacking out in company for the first time this week... if I find that control is an issue I will probably fit a martingale for hacking only until we are better established.

Depends what we are doing, for schooling, normal hacking with a few short canters etc I'd use:

Flash noseband
French Link Snaffle
No martingale
Plaited reins (I actually prefer them, don't ask why?!) Although gloves are a must!! I still bear the scars from making the mistake of forgetting to put them on!

For faster hacks in a big group or when I'm brave enough to actually take him on the beach, I use:

3 ring gag (he needs breaks!!)
Running martingale

His old owner used to use the gag for jumping, although I've only ever jumped him in his snaffle. I haven't done a lot of jumping, and only about 60 cm, but it's something to aim towards! Competing may be a different story though!! :eek:

Another depends what i'm doing, for lungeing a simple french link snaffle, with no noseband, inhand showing use same bit but with plain cavesson noseband.

For anything ridden either hanging cheek snaffle or the one he prefers best which is a ported myler combination.

Always laced reins (or would try plaited), for a small pony he's got a strong pull and need the extra grip sometimes. Can't stand rubber reins

Cavesson bridle with the nose band but no flash.
Egg butt snaffle
I have rubber reins and a pair of leather ones but I have no idea what the difference between continental and plain reins.

Bog standard english bridle with a plain nose band (purely for cosmetic reasons) and a french link snaffle.

newrider.com