Bitting Advice Help!

Flipo's Mum

Heavy owner of a Heavy
Aug 17, 2009
Perthshire, Scotland
I posted a couple of weeks back about my horse's tendency to open his mouth when halting. This has only developed in the last six months so I was keen to explore pain issues before anything else.
Well I've had the dentist out today and sure enough there were some hooks that needed work, Flipo stood like a sweetheart for him (thank god!) and while I was speaking to the dentist, he took one look and said 'mmm I think he's about a 5.5" bit" to which I replied "seriously?! thats what he came in, but we decided that was far too small!"
I asked him to take a look and sure enough, with his explanation, it would appear that the 6.75" bit we've been using is far too big and might be contributing to our open mouth issues.:redface::redface::redface: So I'm on a bit hunt and see this as an opportunity to try something else....if I'm able to use a bit bank now that he might actually be a more reasonable size?! :unsure: Dentist thinks from having a look, that he might be around a 6" so thats where we will start. He's currently ridden in 6.75" butterfly driving bit with lozenge and curb chain. Not too thick for his fleshy tongue and I'm a bit concerned about giving up the curb as he's one uber strong horse with one uber strong neck.

All we're doing is a bit of schooling and hacking out.
In the school he's not good with halting (although I will continue to school for this) and opens his mouth to evade.
He doesn't hold his head up too high, but he can get strong thinking he's going to canter....although once in canter he's dead easy to stop - too much effort involved! I don't have any issues turning...its probably more brakes I'm worried about.
Out hacking he is absolutely fine alone. Unless he gets a fleg and shoots off at a trot/ canter. It might take me a minute to stop him but he will stop. In this situation I wouldn't be able to turn him as he sets his neck. He doesn't go too far though as long as I stay balanced. If I do become unbalanced though, he'll shoot off..but thats not going to be sorted by a bit is it!?!
Out hacking with other horses he can get a bit strong in walk. He doesnt try to take off, he just gets very forward going especially when on the way home or when he's infront and won't come back to me using half halts at all.

In general I use voice commands with him and can stop him at junctions without any issues at all - I think I just worry he might get beligerent on occasion and refuse to stand for too long at the junction.

Cookies and lots of chocolate for all that make it to the end of that!:smoke: Any help or suggestions greatly received.

Last edited:
Ooh, bitting, one of my very own hot topics just at present.

Been on H&H today regarding my own problems with bitting, v. helpful girls, and as I seem to have tried a not inconsiderable amount of bits with Tobes, general consensus was to speak to Heather at Neue Schule (as was querying NS Verbindend for him).

V. helpful Heather is, and suggested two to trial that I would never even have thought of - one was the Verbindend, but the Universal, not the loose ring which surprised me.

So, I think what you need to do is decide what your issues with your current bit are, what mouth conformation he has - ie. thick tongue, low palate, very fleshy lips (as in our case), or whatever the handsome Flip's mouth is like, what you want to achieve, and how you ride (contact, no contact).

Thanks Sally. I've emailed one of the bit banks to see what they think but they haven't got back to me yet. I will see if the NS range comes in 6"+ and email if so.
JC, I will be buying the same bit in smaller size, as I know it and feel ok with it...although we had a 'situation' today and I didn't feel I had any brakes tbh. I just waited until he ran out of steam which thankfully wasn't long!
Have you plumped for one of those two bits yet or are you yet to try them out? I'm actually quite excited at the thought of finding something suitable, or testing out if the bit we've already got, is the best one for us. Up until now I've worried that we're only in this one because of his strength and perceived too big bit size!

Last edited:
I always find telephoning the bit banks is quicker and easier.

Haven't as yet trialled either bit she suggested - as am waiting for payday! Hopefully salary will arrive today so shall be trialling asap!

YO will be having a mild epi fit - whilst she manages to bully me in several ways, I will not be swayed into believing that a snaffle is the 'only' bit in the world as he doesn't like them AT ALL!

Has opened up a whole new world of bits for you now he is a 6"!

newrider.com