Bitting Advise Please

Clare-22

Apr 30, 2005
Berkshire
Can anyone suggest a good bit for a horse with a sensitive mouth, who likes to fix on the right rein. Having had a good look in his mouth, he seems to have very flabby lips, a large tongue but a very shallow pallet, so not much room in there.

He is currently in a Myler Comfort Snaffle, and I have also tried a Myler Comfort Snaffle ported and with hooks, which he hated.

I do struggle with the Myler sizes as 5" is too small and 5.5" is on the large side. Do any bits do 1/4 sizes :confused:

Would be grateful for any suggestions :)

have you tried a plain, quite thin unjointed straight bar/mullen mouth snaffle?

or a hanging cheek snaffle (the one with the little rings inside the bit rings, i think thats the right name for it)

have you had dentist out recently?

have you tried hillary vernon's bit range? Apparently she's very good and has now designed her own confort range

Yes sorry should have said, teeth, saddle and back have all been checked, and EDT is back out today to check he didn't miss anything last month :rolleyes:

Interesting what you say about Hillary Vernon, she came out and fitted the Myler last year, it was a very expensive call out, but might be worth seeing if she would advise over the phone if I purchased from her.

I have a hanging cheek french link on the way from ebay, it was cheap enough to buy as an experiment, so good to hear you recommend that.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

newrider.com