Saddle003.jpg

The Icelandic can do ANYTHING!

:D :D :D

The colour you ordered Moddom!

Attachments

• miljon.web-jpg.jpg
    miljon.web-jpg.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 99
WOW Wally!! I thought that was impossible!! LOL!

I like the rose grey from the colour web page!

And I feel a zorse will be sneeking its way onto my xmas list this year!!

GarnetFox said:
Is it just me, or do brindle horses look like Great Danes? :D

Or is that the other way around...

I didn't even know you could get brindle horses :confused:

The original picture I saw was the one of the brindle on Garnetfox's reply, if I could get that in tobiano he would match my bulldog, Spike :D I would post a photo of him but mine always come up as too large and Im a total technophobe.

re: "My baby is a Pintaloosa!!!!"

Sunshine - your horse is a blanket appaloosa.

A pintaloosa is a combination of a paint or pinto, usually tobiano markings, and an appaloosa, either leopard or roaned markings overlaying the dark patches.

Attachments

• blanket app.jpeg
    blanket app.jpeg
    2.5 KB · Views: 125
  • pintaloosa4.jpeg
    pintaloosa4.jpeg
    2.3 KB · Views: 125
Wally - that's the pic I've been told is a fake!! :D :D

It's not a tobiano pattern - markings are all wrong for that, and it's not bay of any type. You do get chestnuts with darker splodges (called Ben D'Or spots) so I guess it's probably an extreme form of that.

chev what colour would you say stan is? he is registered as a chocolate dun, but on those websites given, there is nothing about chocolate duns or anything that looks like him!

He doesn't look like a dun to me. Duns don't usually have points that black. Any idea what colour his parents were? He looks like what would be called a sooty buckskin - that is bay with a cream dilute and then a sooty modifier as well. Sooty is what makes bays dark bay - when it occurs with cream (which makes buckskins that pale golden colour) it can make them appear almost black in colour. Buckskins were (in fact still are) very often registered as duns of some type in the UK.

He's a beautiful colour.

This is Mustano, a sooty buckskin Spanish Mustang. He has the same pale golden soft bits (flanks, belly etc) as Stan, and the same very black points.

The cream gene, which is what dilutes these horses to buckskin, doesn't work on black pigment in heterozygous form (if a horse has just one cream gene) so black pigment stays black - hence the sooty bits.

The dun gene dilutes black and red pigment - so the points on a dun horse will be a faded browny-black colour at their darkest. It also doesn't give the same clear gold colour that you see on these horses - like on Stan's throat and ears. It's a much softer, dustier, more muted shade.

Attachments

• mus1.jpg
    mus1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 43
stans dad was black

Last edited by a moderator:
his belly is too yellow for a bay! when he doesnt have his rug on it goes very very yellow but he has had a boette on all year

Some sooty buckskins do get mistaken for dark bay. The difference is the pale bits - on a dark bay, they're reddish. On a sooty buckskin, like Stan, they're yellowish. It's a very different colour to the fawn areas seen on dark bays. The real giveaway on Stan are those ears and throat - on a bay they'd be red, whereas Stan is a dark gold shade.

The other dun pointers he's missing are any form of a mask, zebra striping, and dorsal stripe. You wouldn't neccessarily see them all, but it's usual to see at least one on a dun.

This is Rhodri, who is a dark bay, so you can compare - you can see how the brown bits are red in comparison to Stan's lighter bits, especially around his throat. Sooty causes the addition of all the dark bits.

Attachments

• growingup.jpg
    growingup.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 29
newrider.com