Black or brown tack?

Santi

Dec 11, 2005
Suffolk
Any thoughts on what colour tack is better?
I'm planning to do some dressage and showjumping with my new horse. I read that showing should really be done in brown tack (but i never got into showing very much). Dressage tack always looks black but is that just the way it looks at a distance? What is everyone using, is there an ideal colour or do you choose it to suit the horse's colour?! :)
I am getting a GP saddle - does it make alot of difference if we use it for dressage, i can't afford two!

Brown tack is thought to be nicer because the cheap, painted imported leather is usually black, which kinda gives all black leather a bad name. It's easier to hide bad leather when it's black.

I have black tack, because I had a black saddle, so brought a (very expensive) black bridle. Then got a new saddle which needed to match, and so on. I prefere black though - really don't like brown leather

It depends on the colour of the horses though - some suit brown, some suit black.

But be warned - trying to get tack to match if you have brown leather is a nightmare - Kim has a brown bridle and snapped her throat lash. It was such a pain trying to get a new head-peice to match :rolleyes:

I do dressage in black tack. It's the saddle that fits my horse best, so everything else just goes with it. :)
main5.jpg

I'm looking for a new saddle (current one doesn't fit either myself or my horse) and I posted the same question - had the same responses a you: many mention that black hides poor quality leather, but if you buy a reputable brand that shouldn't be something to worry about.

So it boils down to what looks better on your horse. Black tends to look more classy, many people feel, this depends very much on your horse. A gray (like the pic in the post above) I think looks stunning in black. I feel bays look great in either, would probably prefer them in black.

But I've got a strawberry roan and eventually decided not to buy the very nice black saddle I had an option on - he just looks too busy in black. I'm looking for a dark brown ('Havana brown', some call it) for him, but if I can't get that I'll settle for black rather than light/tan brown, which makes him look very dull.

PS: someone also told me brown is for showing and black for dressage, but I've been told that's nonsense. ??? Not competing anyways so it doesn't make a difference to me.

Why not post a pic of your horse? Or try to find horses with similiar colour on the web with differently coloured tack?

Edited to add: about the dressage vs GP saddle: I've been told rather to get the GP if you're interested in any jumping at all, even if only perhaps popping a log or a ditch on hacks. Aparently they don't mind GPs in dressage competitions?? I'm not interested in jumping but wouldn't mind being able to do something small for fun, and wouldn't want my saddle to limit me if I change my mind later.

Last edited:
Its personally choice and what suits youre horse, my saddler had a black saddle that fitted fantastic so i bought a black bridle to match, although i had already bought a stubben double previously in brown so just go out in "unmatching" tack as he has such a big head he needed the thick noseband i do dressage and it really doesnt matter!!! one day i maybe able to replace his bridle but until such times its staying!!!!!!!!
It is important in the showing world for matching tack that suits your horse so i really wouldnt worry to much!!!!!!!!!

If you show you will be frowned on for black tack, unless you have a piebald. Having said that Moss' best tack is black. He looks dreadful in brown. Conn goes out to party in brown. Every day tack is Libby's webbing!:D :D

I really do envy you all the freedom to choose black or brown tack for dressage. Here we are told black is the only acceptable color for dressage (US) and I only rarely see a brown dressage saddle for sale. It is all black saddles and black bridles (some with color padding for the browband and cavesson) and now I am seeing white breeches with black full-seat panels "so the black from your saddle won't rub off onto your white breeches" (according to the tack catalogue).
I am beginning to look for a good dressage saddle and would love to be able to get a brown one, but I don't know if I could show in it (if I ever want to show) or if points would be taken away for having different tack from everyone else.
Anyone know about the rest of the US?

I agree with Roheryn - I am from Canada and now living in the U.S.A and it is frowned apon to have Brown Tack. You will actually loose marks if you have brown - which is silly I must say.

It shouldn't be about the color of tack you have on your horse - it should be about your performance, Unity between you and your horse and how well you execute your movements.

I am from British Columbia in Canada and now in Southwestern Michigan. I've been to many Dressage Shows and it is allllways black tack, white breeches, black jacket etc, etc.

If you have a brown dressage saddle and want to sell it here - it would never move. BUT in the Hunter world - you see brown everywhere. Black is frowned apon in the Hunter world.

my dressage tack is brown , basically i'd have got either it was just that the saddle happened to be brown & fit

echo pinks lady re matching up saddles & bridles with brown tack though , mine are actually different colours on my dressage tack but from a distance you can't really tell

Well, I am currently riding in a black saddie, a brown bridle, and a black flash (meant to buy a brown one today and got so busy trying dressage saddles [black ones] that I forgot all about the flash)!

Anyone know anything about Thorowgood Griffin dressage saddles? Anyone have an opinion?

I do hunter/jumper and I perfer brown tack, as others have said about the poor quality of some black tack... I have had a tendency not to like it.

To me brown looks more fancy then black, but I guess it really depends on what discipline of riding you are doing!

In the UK, most shows use British Dressage Rules, even if they are unaffilliated (to my understanding). You can check the rules including those regarding tack on the BD website. Brown, black, navy or grey tack is acceptable, any other colours, for example that pink WOW saddle I saw advertised recently, are not. English or continental style saddles are acceptable but western are not. There are also rules regarding what bit you can use. You probably knew that, but just in case you didn't.

When I was competing in dressage I used black tack, including a Wintec GP saddle, no problems. Black was my personal preference and it suited my horse, a dun. The only time I got picked up for tack was for using bit guards, against the rules. Later someone was talking about a dressage competion a freind had been to (the same one) and they'd mentioned seeing a lovely dun horse whose rider had spoiled his appearance by putting bright yellow bit guards on:rolleyes: Well, yellow and black tack to match the horse:eek: :eek: :eek: It was a long time ago and I was young:eek:

I don't think there is any rule about tack matching colour, there is just the appearance issues, but that is just personal preference I guess. But if I understand the rules correctly you can be elliminated for using illegal tack in the UK.

Edited after checking rulebook.

Last edited:
i personally prefer black tack but that is purely personal preference and that suits my horse. I am currently looking for a brown dressage saddle as i have a brown bridle (on my other horse) but am really struggling to find one with the right size.

I prefer brown tack, but if I ever want to show in dressage over here I must have black tack.
Coss--wish you could've seen the brown Passier dressage saddle I saw the other day -- 17" and a very reasonable price; old and rather worn but otherwise in quite good condition (goodness, I sound like a bookseller!). I wish I could buy it on trial but I can't afford to invest in both a brown and a black leather saddle. But oh--it is lovely! All broken in and only needing fittings and a good cleaning.

Seems I was wrong about having to have black tack here to show in dressage. I've just asked 2 dressage riding friends and they've both told me you can in fact show in brown tack. But, like you, EventGirl, all I see at shows is black tack. So Ii'm not gonna rush out and buy the brown saddle I fell in love with (at least I think I'm not!). Not that I'm planning on doing any showing anytime soon.

Last edited:
I like both colours. I just concentrate on what colour suits the horse. If you have a white saddle pad, black really goes well with that. Put a picture of your horse on this thread or tell us what colour he/she is. I would just try both colours on your horse and see which one looks the best (and obviously the one that fits best). In dressage, any colour tack is ok.

Brown is the norm for showing, however we used to have black on our 15hh show hunter pony as it suited him better. Never stopped him winning! I personally prefer brown but use whatever colour suits the horse. My bay brown mare wears black and my bright bay mare wears brown. I like to be different and most people wear black for dressage, but as another member has already pointed out the rule book states:
"Saddles must be English or Continental style, black,brown,grey or navy.western style or brightly coloured saddles are not permitted.It is permissable to ride side saddle. A gel pad seat saver is permitted provided it is unobtrusive and matches colour of saddle. Other types of seat saver including sheeepskin/fur not permitted unless dispensation applied for from BD office. treeless saddles are permitted."
When judging we are only required to ensure that permitted tack is used, and that the rider is correctly attired. We certainly don't deduct marks for having a brown not black saddle. After all its all supposed to be about the training of the horse and seeing a happy athlete competing, not a fashion parade!

newrider.com