Blocked sweat glands?

EmmaRotherham

Animal mad...
Aug 18, 2004
Rotherham
kye-and-pepper.blogspot.com
The pony I share has several lumps along both sides of her spine. The owner bought her with these and had the vet look at them who says they're just blocked sweat glands. The pony certainly doesn't seem bothered by them, they're not sensitive in anyway as far as I can tell.

Has anyone else come across this though? It just strikes me as a bit, well, odd. Esp now her owner has put yet another nummnah under the saddle (so she has one thick wooly numnah and a thinish saddlepad under the saddle) to stop them rubbing.

No idea where this came from, it's just appeared, but makes me question the fit of the saddle itself now it has extra padding (I'm no good at fitting saddles though its a lot tighter now than before odviously) no signs of rubbing that i can tell, and not affecting how forward going the pony is (no change either way that i've seen)

we have a horse up our yard that comes up with similar things in the summer the vet(s) have checked him many a times about them, and they have all said the same thing, that they are blocked sweat glands, and a heat thin! and oviously because he sweats more in summer they come up!
they are only under his saddle area, and the vet just said that it is the contact of the saddle combined with the sweating that doesn't allow his skin to breath, that makes him come up with them

newrider.com