blood on tail

kaykell7

i love highlands
Jun 25, 2001
Visit site
i know i have already posted this and im sorry for doing it again but my horse has blood on her tail and alittle on the base of her bum she is grey so it is really obvious mum says it is just because she is in season but do they produce blood when they are in season i am condsidering calling the vet but i dont want to appear stupis if this is normal as we havent seen eye to eye with the vet in the past this is my first mare pony and she had a foall 10mnths ago i am starting to panic do i have a reason to panic? and wondered if any one new anything about it please reply as quickly as possible if you no anything thank you

Last edited:
It doesn't sound normal kaykell, I should call your vet. It's not always obvious when a mare is in season, but if she does show signs it could be, squirting, winking, lifting her tail and squealing, not blood on her tail. I wouldn't panic, but phone your vet and see what he says. If you don't see eye to eye with your vet, could you look for another?

Sue
sue@eclipse.co.uk

Do what Sue Carnell advises.

Give a vet a call that you trust. I don't know about things south, but all the vets here are happy to chat over the phone and give free advice, if they feel it is necessary they will make an appointment to call.

Mares don't usually bleed, it may be an infection which is easily sorted, but the vet will need to make sure exactly what is going on.

Don't be shy about asking for a vet you can be frank with and trust. We have few vets to choose from, but each vet has his strong and weak points, I suppose it's all part of being human. If we have a sick cat we will ask to see one vet, a kind docile horse we ask for another vet, the stallion needs to see another. This way every one is happy...including the vets.

just to let you know i got thew vet this morning a different one to the one we normally use he was alot nicer he couldnt find anyhting wrong inside much to molly was not impressed having a hand stuffed up her bum :eek: he said that she may have scratched it on something he doesnt think its an infection but if it gets worse or is no better with in a few days to get him back and not to panic!!!. she is a highland pony and has so mush tail it is hard to move it all out the way to get a proper look

hello!

Glad to hear that the vet gave her the all clear.

When Tango has a heavy season (when she becomes boy mad - this happens about once each year) she will have some blood down her back legs, not a lot at all, just a bit. As it just happens once a year, I don't worry about it.

bye!

the blood has stopped now do you reckon she will be fine to hack out except for the fact she may be moody because shes in season

'sno good asking us, your're her "mum", do what you think she is happy with, don't trust us lot....trust YOU, you know her best. If your waters churn, and you have the slightest inkling anything is wrong get help.

Both Frances an I had a feeling Hákon was runing a temp. today without the aid of a thermometer. Once inserted it was confirmed he was running at 103 degrees, a bit high, you do not need anyone to tell you when your horse is feeling off colour, you will know yourself.

newrider.com