Bobby goes showjumping *pics*

Sparklie

Jun 3, 2005
hartlepool
I've had Bobby for 3 months now and I absolutely adore him. He's such a lovely easy to deal with pony and a heap of fun to ride!! :biggrin:

Basic background for anyone that doesn't know...Bobby is a 14.2hh cob x trotter who started his life as a driving pony. His owner then decided to break him to ride as she does with all of her horses and found that he's really good under saddle and that he loved being ridden. However she mostly drives due to a riding accident so made the hard decision to sell him. He's now just turned 5 and has been broken in for about 10 months (with a 6 month turned away period during this time) and is coming on really well. He'd not seen an arena or been ridden with other horses or jumped more than a single fence when I bought him but I liked his attitude. I have since found that he loves jumping, he hasn't a clue what he's doing but he loves it :bounce:

So yesterday me and Bobs attended our first show together. A Small local show jumping competition, just to school round the fences as we've never jumped a course either :unsure:

I couldn't be more proud!! :biggrin:

He loaded onto a trailer (previously only travelled in a wagon) with an unknown horse, travelled perfectly, unloaded and stood to be tacked up with minimal dancing around and then warmed up in a torrential downpour!! We were very wet and I'm afraid Bobby's legs went rather black from the outdoor surface,yuk!

We entered the first small class (45cm ish) and he just popped round. He had a little look at the planks but a pony club kick and we were over and the last line was off a tight bend away from the gate so he was reluctant and needed a good bit of leg then too but otherwise he was a star!! And we went double clear and we placed 4th :dance:

Then we entered the second class (55cm ish) and he popped round that too, a little better off my leg this time too. The jump off was horrible. The first fence was at a bad angle so my approach was awful, Bobby wasn't sure what we were jumping but the little angel did it, it wasn't pretty but he did it. We went double clear...we placed 3rd!! :dance: :dance:

I couldn't be more proud!! :wub:

This was my first show in 3 and a half years plus I think and Bobby's first ever (actually he did go to an outdoor inhand show with his old owner when he was a baby so not entirely true). Photos now and...videos to come so you can laugh at my riding :wink:

Not sure which class or order these are in, sorry

Fence one
2536f673.jpg

Fence five
89e8a3fa.jpg

First time over the planks...giving them plenty of air haha
ef59e4fb.jpg

Trotting around
02aacef5.jpg

Fence six (away from the gate so lots of leg needed)
3237b6d6.jpg

Fence five in the jump off
68ea370b.jpg

Waiting for his rosette (Im on my phone so can't turn this around, sorry)
71f063a8.jpg

The rosettes!!
68193de9.jpg

Fantastic, Sparklie... huge congratulations to BOTH of you... what a little star Bobby is. Come next spring, I'd like you to find a Bobby for me please :biggrin:

I'm not even sure how I found this one!! He's an absolute pleasure to do anything with. So happy and friendly and eager to please :inlove:

I'm just waiting to upload videos and the. I'll add them once I've walked my pooch

Well done - great pics - I love to see a good coloured cob jumping - bet fast and turn on a sixpence apply - our mare loved it but she had no breaks!

Lemme...I've just watched the vids and I disappear off camera a couple of times...that's cos I ran out of stopping power. I'm not sure if you can hear it on the video but I one point I did shout "brakes Bobby!!" while heading towards a shocked looking person on the gate :giggle:

Videos...

Class one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO6UVoiCEC8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Class one jump off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPBMOuftTY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Class two...I'm afraid my trusty camera person missed the first few fences

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fN3aU_3s1U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Class two jump off...notice my awwwwful line into the first jump, I think this was a mean line to ask for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBOgl4dtotI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I did Karin. His old mum is very proud of him. I told her we were just going to school round and see what he thought of it so we were both very impressed with his results. With a little bit of work maybe we can try the bigger class next time. I'm such a jumping wimp so I get jelly legs above 1 and a half feet!!

Great photos -well done on his first time out. I just that kind of height and haven't got much inclination to go much bigger either. We haven't got round to going out yet but we will one day.

newrider.com