Body Condition Scoring

My two definitely have drop bellies currently. I dont mind them putting it on in the autumn ready for winter.

I would also be happier for chunky to carry the extra weight being older. My grass is not hugely nutritious and by no means flat. Being he is getting old, once he looses the weight he will never regain it. Seen it with all my other animals.

Cant do much about billy at the moment as hes on reduced work. Hes got a full main this winter unlike last winter when he was growing out his hog. So hes going to be staying in a rug without neck peice this winter.

Reactions: MrA
I like to see mine gain a little over late summer and I like to see a loss over winter so I can see ribs by spring so they can afford to repeat it.

But then I’ve got the likes of Dan who doesn’t loose enough over winter so although I can feel ribs he’s still got a cresty neck and fat shoulders so he’s been on a diet all this year. There should definitely be fluctuations but we’ve got to be cautious they are within healthy ranges still (that is aimed at no one in particular, just an observation)

Reactions: MrA
I wonder how much research actually went into these rugs when they were designed, they can't simulate hair that well surely. It's just interesting the weights that were already being used today. But I don't know their horses. Most of the horses I've done so far are a little bit chunky, some spot on, couple under and a few fat. Interesting to see what happens over winter as their management all varies

I wonder how much research actually went into these rugs when they were designed, they can't simulate hair that well surely. It's just interesting the weights that were already being used today. But I don't know their horses. Most of the horses I've done so far are a little bit chunky, some spot on, couple under and a few fat. Interesting to see what happens over winter as their management all varies
Just a quick question on that, the survey bit, is that a general how do you keep/feed/rug them over winter thing or just what are you doing today? ETA I replied on the wrong BCS thread ?

Just a quick question on that, the survey bit, is that a general how do you keep/feed/rug them over winter thing or just what are you doing today? ETA I replied on the wrong BCS thread ?
Generally how are they kept over winter, which I realise is hard to anticipate, can be ammended come Feb ☺️

Reactions: Jessey
Pretty pleased with Pete at the moment ... his weight loss is slowing down, but still going in the right direction ?

Ignore his funny colouring - he'd been washed down post exercise!

Attachments

• IMG_20201108_225939_031.jpg
    IMG_20201108_225939_031.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: MrA and Jessey
newrider.com