Body protectors - always uncomfortable?

Fleabitten

Jul 13, 2009
Have recently bought a Jack Ellis BP but feel (and look) like the michelin man in it :eek:

Followed the fitting guidelines but it feels like it's pushing my arms away from my sides, so I have to ride with my hands wider.

Is this normal with BPs? Or is it that mine maybe doesn't fit properly? Trying to decide whether to send it back or persevere with it.

think it doesnt fit properly. Although mine feels stiff for a few minutes I forget I am wearing it (Derby House own make - cheap and very cheerful:D)

I have a canadian one which is made of thin layers of memory foam that are full width and height front and back. Its flexible even before I put in on and then moulds to me even more. Dont really notice I have it on. Dreading having to replace it as not seen them in the UK.
This is it, as you can see - no restriction to my arms and doesn't look bulky.

MK3DEDay2013.jpg

Bp

I have an Outlyne which is fab! I'm short backed with a bust so a very hard fit. It is narrow at the sides and has a zip so I don't have to adjust it when I put it on. I bought it after seeing pix of myself doing dressage and my elbows were 45 degrees away from my sides with my old one and I got rub marks on the insides of my upper arms when I rode in short sleeves.

It probably doesn't fit if you still notice it after a few moments.

The arm holes shouldn't be so small (i.e. high up) as to prevent you letting your arms hang comfortably down by your sides.

Did you get it fitted?

i tried a couple of brands years and years ago and they were horrendous, i dont know how people could ride in them!
ive heard a lot of good things about the racesafe ones so if i was going to get one id try one of those.
every time im due to break in a horse i think about getting one but ive never got round to it yet.
i seem to fall off once every 5 years or so and ive never hurt myself apart from one time i got knocked out on a jump

i definately think you should go and try some brands on at a big shop and see how you feel in them, yours doesnt sound right

I have the champion victory which i love,
used to have the chamption cobra too which i actually prefered, but a little expensive and the zip is hard to do up

didn't like the racesafe, personally.

if it's not comfortable then it doesn't fit!! I had a made to measure Rodney Powell bp made up and i don't even know it's on. Only time i didn't wear it was when backing my horse, purely coz the extra bulk meant i couldn't be as nimble as i needed to be. Made to measure was only a few £ over the off the peg price and so worth it.

I too have an airowear one and although it felt funny at first, different from my own one in that it actually fits me and I really like it. I wear it EVERY time I ride it's so comfy!

I wear a knox motorcycle back protector as I can't stand the horse ones over my chest. It is mega comfy and supports your back well. If you are only worried about your back they are a more comfortable alternative.

Hmm, I'm guessing it doesn't fit then :eek:

Problem is I'm lanky, so need adult size for length, but also lost a bit of weight recently, so smallest adult size is too bulky around the waist. Think that's why it's pushing my arms out.

Will have to look at made to measure I think.

Eventerbabe - does the rodney powell come with shoulder protection? It's why I really want a BP, having fallen & broken my collar bone now on both sides :rolleyes:

Thanks all :)

newrider.com