Body Protectors

Our minds are thinking alike then.

I was going to get another reiver as it's what i've had before and in ten years they would have made improvements.

I know someone who has the new one out that pippa funnel wears, forget the name of it but it is really flexible, takes a while to mould and warm up.

I have had the Airowear one for about a year and I love it. I wear it every time I ride now and feel wrong without it. It does fit to your body really well.

I also got an airjacket for Xmas and wore it for the first time yesterday, but luckily it wasn't needed to deploy! I will wear both of them for Xcountry.

If you have money to burn, I've read great reviews of the Kan on HHO forum.

I have a Rodney Powell one, had it 5 years and its been very good. Only thing I have found, is that you need to store it somewhere other than a cold tack room, cos if you plan on putting it on to ride early morning it will be stiff!lol, I now put mine on and "warm it up" if you know what I mean! I wouldn't be without it now. Think I'd def get another when the time comes.

I have found that the race safe is the most comfortable and doesn't restrict your movement as much as some of the others. My old BP made me feel as though i had an ironing board strapped to my back. Have had the race safe for a couple of years and it's great.

Just ordered the BETA 2009 Reiver, will let you know if it's more flexible now, using newer technology.

my son has a champion cobra he wears without complaining - there is NO better recommendation:bounce:

it as adjustable lace up sides and the panels have more flex grooves in them -so the whole things molds very nicely.

might go for the racesafe when he outgrows this one though - if I can afford it:(

Completely agree with this - I have the Cobra and love it! It's super comfy, moulded perfectly and is very adjustable. I found with the velcro adjustable ones they were quite limited where as this one has lace, which means it can be adjested where it's needed :)

I have an airowear one, It felt awful in the shop, really stiff but as they say when it warms up it moulds to your body.... It is true 2 months later i forget I am wearing the thing... dont be put off by its bulkiness its actually very comfortable

I have a Rodney Powell at the moment which I love, but I am going to try out a racesafe for my next one. Just have to lose some weight first!

I have a champion cobra and i find it very comfy. It is nice and adjustable. other onesd i tried rubbed under my arms.

My friend has a racesafe and i have tried it on and it is very comfy although doesn't seem to have as much substance to it but perhaps this is because it is newer design, less bulky and maybe just as much protection?

I would be interested in any further advice on this subject. My airowear BP has just given up the ghost (zip started to come loose, then broke) so I am looking to replace. When I gogtthat one it was a place where they fitted you and there wasnt any choice of styles etc. I have been fine with it, but it is bulky and as I am a hacker rather than a cross country rider etc I wonder if I need that level of safety?? I am a busty size 16 and broad shouldered so would be interested in hearing from others about best fit etc. Also, is it worth going somewhere that measures you or places where you just try them on and see what they feel like?

totally worth trying some on to see which style fits your shape best, but remember they all feel :devil: until they warm up and you move around in them. Unfortunately, some tack shops seem to carry one or two brands only - don't know why this is. Same with riding hats too.:unsure:

I think the ones with the smaller panel pieces are more flexible from the start - racesafe 2000, champion cobra, and there is a new one - just looked it up - Harry Hall Zeus.

You can get jockey vests that are lighter and offer less protection, but TBH I think once you have a BP on, you might as well waer one that works!

Once you know what style, I think you are fine getting someone to measure you and ordering online - you can always send them.

ETA - I have found with BP's for myself and children, zipped ones tend to be more flexible, but can be a nightmare to do up and the zips always break in the end (but never owned a racesafe, so they might be better, and the cobra hasn't broken yet)

Last edited:
This thread should really be in mature riders - not money saving. So I should copy this there.

I too have an old style airoware. It is a Zippa.
First question is how old yours is? Airowear informed our retailer on the phone while I was there that a body protector should last about five years.

If yours is much less than this, you can order a new cover for it from Airowear, but one needs to do this via a retailer, either a local shop or an on line place will do.

My bp is only a couple of years old so I am going to order a new cover myself. I have done this before and recommend it. You can also ask to have it posted direct to your home address.

Now the problem. The standard for bps changed in 2009 - so from July 2011 Airowear wont be making their old Zippa any more.

I too find the new Airowear model - the Outline -, bulky and uncomfortable under the arms. I tried on every possible size. Airowear told me that could be because the new standard requires the arm holes to be smaller than previously - which isnt good news for those of us with narrow shoulders who wear bps for hacking.

True that you and I dont need a British Standard bp for hacking, but the manufacturers stop making anything that isnt standard.

I bought my grand daughter a new style Outline last week and she is very happy with it. The foam is softer, and it fits better than the tabbard type she wore before. This is her third Airowear bp.

But like you, I am not sorted out and OH's bp is getting old - So yes, the answer is to go to a really big store like Robinsons or Rideaway, or several smaller shops and deliberately try on half a dozen brands to find one that fits. Beware though - whatever the single brand retailer says, no brand really fits absolutely everyone.

It is a great advantage having had a body protector one likes, as by now I know I like one with a zip up the front and separate fastenings at bust and waist.
My previous one was a Champion but then for a time they did little choice of length. Now, as has been noticed, there are many new bps on the market and many of the top brands now make a vast choice of sizes.

If you want to be rid of the bulk altogether, there are the inflatable types to consider - but I am an RS rider and as I said before, have postponed that.

I cant exactly remember how many years old mine is (which shows I must be in the more mature category!) but at least 5 years but less than 10, so the styles have changed. I dont mind the zip though, once its done up, you do feel fine, have occasionally borrowed other velcro only ones and you suddenly realise a couple of hours into a ride that its popped open! I will visit a few stores as suggested and try a few on.

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Have ordered another newer model airowear BP (with zip) following a succesful trip to the lovely Derby House store in Wrightingon. So civilised, a bit like going into John Lewis! (with Robinsons being more like Aldi) And a fab cafe. Great service, got properly measured etc. They did have other makes but this type was best on me.

newrider.com