Body Protectors

Sure I saw somewhere... the selling point was when they go off when you fall the horse will spook away from you and so improve safety. I’m not sure about that and would think a spooked horse disappearing would be more of a risk.
When we tried them, it was suggested that you desensitise the horse to the sound by getting it accustomed to people (it was eventers) opening cans of chilled coca cola right beside the horse.

No it’s just for hacking and schooling for now, I can worry about competing later if we go that route. Will you share a pic of what you mean? I’m struggling to envisage it. I have also thought about motorcycle jackets or shirts with the padding in, might be better than nothing.
Sure I can get photos.

I read that the Airowear Shadow is motorbike 2014 standard. It will do the same to protect their back.

Reactions: Jessey
I did 3 counties today to try on, but no success.

The racesafe was the closest, but the bigger size comfortable for my boobs rises up as I move, the smaller size to fit my ribs, squishes my boobs and pulls the shoulders and back into the back of my neck.

I’m going to do some more research, but may end up talking to racesafe to see if a made to measure will be better for me.
I’m a similar shape to you and found the racesafe rose up. I had one made to measure but returned it because it did the same thing. The AirOWear fits me best and I ride in mine daily. I haven’t got in a horse without a body protector for about 20 years and once it is on I don’t notice it.

No it’s just for hacking and schooling for now, I can worry about competing later if we go that route. Will you share a pic of what you mean? I’m struggling to envisage it. I have also thought about motorcycle jackets or shirts with the padding in, might be better than nothing.
I looked into this but found them quite bulky and not close fitting enough.

I’m a similar shape to you and found the racesafe rose up. I had one made to measure but returned it because it did the same thing. The AirOWear fits me best and I ride in mine daily. I haven’t got in a horse without a body protector for about 20 years and once it is on I don’t notice it.
I tried one, it didn’t seem to work for me. A friend has one though and is going to let me borrow it, to try out a bit more extensively, perhaps I can tweak the fitting enough to make it work 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m not overly hopeful though.

When we tried them, it was suggested that you desensitise the horse to the sound by getting it accustomed to people (it was eventers) opening cans of chilled coca cola right beside the horse.
Eoin would freak out at the sound of an air jacket, they are like a bomb going off. I know that I would forget to unclip it when I dismounted normally so would go through a fair few canisters by accident .

I tried one, it didn’t seem to work for me. A friend has one though and is going to let me borrow it, to try out a bit more extensively, perhaps I can tweak the fitting enough to make it work 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m not overly hopeful though.
I like it because it fits my bust but I can tighten up the straps around my ribs to stop it rising up. I need a new one soon but definitely need it to be fully adjustable to stop the rise. Make sure it is short enough in the back, I think a common mistake is that riders buy one too long and this alone makes it rise before even consider body shape.

I like it because it fits my bust but I can tighten up the straps around my ribs to stop it rising up. I need a new one soon but definitely need it to be fully adjustable to stop the rise. Make sure it is short enough in the back, I think a common mistake is that riders buy one too long and this alone makes it rise before even consider body shape.
I had it fitted, the fitter said it wasn’t going to work as when adjusted to my ribs the back gaped off my back/shoulders. It wasn’t too long, didn’t come anywhere near the saddle.

How are you getting on with this.

I have just bought another one. I have the Airowear Outlyne, and I am wondering if you are actually meant to breathe or not!
Since then I have read the instructions on how to fit and adjust.
Now here's the thing, I don't consider myself to be of ample boobage, but I will need the sports bra on order that they are a little flattened in it!
I plan to spend time just wearing it so it moulds to my shape. I just hope it isn't too long as I have deep seats on my saddles.

I gave up! I concluded that they are just not made for my shape and were likely to cause more harm than good so unless I start doing something that requires one, I shall continue without, I’ve managed the last 40 years!
I have however, got myself a mountain horse bodyguard jacket coming, to hopefully offer my body a little protection in key areas in the event of any more unscheduled flying lessons!

Reactions: carthorse and PePo
I gave up! I concluded that they are just not made for my shape and were likely to cause more harm than good so unless I start doing something that requires one, I shall continue without, I’ve managed the last 40 years!
I have however, got myself a mountain horse bodyguard jacket coming, to hopefully offer my body a little protection in key areas in the event of any more unscheduled flying lessons!
I had to have one to do xc.
Gosh who recalls the ones that did up underneath you 😂
I was surprised that I was classed as needing a size L. I have changed shape, but that's called gravity.

I was surprised that the nearest fit for me was a medium! I am by no means slim, I wear a 14-16! but it still wasn't right - I couldn't breathe with my boobs so squished in and it still wasn't snug around my ribs so shimmied up with every breath! 🤯

That's my feeling on the dratted things too. I felt so restricted that my ability to move with the horse was compromised, that I was more likely to fall off as a result of that, and would fall heavier if I did because I'd fall flat. I suspect riding without one for so many years meant I noticed it more though, maybe if I'd learned while wearing one it would have been less of an issue.

That's my feeling on the dratted things too. I felt so restricted that my ability to move with the horse was compromised, that I was more likely to fall off as a result of that, and would fall heavier if I did because I'd fall flat. I suspect riding without one for so many years meant I noticed it more though, maybe if I'd learned while wearing one it would have been less of an issue.
Yeah I have always felt exactly that way about them. I have to say the racesafe did feel a lot better than the old sandwich board ones and I would probably buy one if they did a boob version, but the current shape pulled the back of the neck down uncomfortably and the whole thing gradually shimmied up as I moved/breathed and having it up round your ears make it a hazzard not PPE!

The best fit is going to be the outlyne for me. I tend to be 14/16 which comes in as L.
Now that aside it's no wonder we have eating disorders if this classes me as Large and in some companies XL!!
I know my RI once said to me don't look down your head is the heaviest part of you, now, I disagreed, I felt I was sat on the heaviest part, since it can be seen as XL assest 😂

• Haha
I'm not sure they do much. Mine used to get better once it was warm (from body heat) but other than that I think it stayed the same
I agree. You are suposed to put them on and they warm up and become more flexible, I dont notice mine when riding. I need to replace mine but am waiting for the school holidays to be over.

newrider.com