Boett blanket real static problems - help, anyone got a solution?

rookierider

Sep 24, 2007
Duke is in his boett 24 x 7 unless grooming or riding to keep his sweet itch under control. Tried Fal silver fly rug, Rambo sweet itch hoody and the Boett truly is the one thing that stops him rubbing til bleeds.

We have a huge static problem though. I often get zapped when out on supermarket trollies, lifts and escalators. Not sure if it's down to me or anyone else having this problem? :confused:

When I take off his boett the blanket is crackling as I start to lift it up at the rump and it's crackling the whole time. I have to lift it up over him in stages. Sometimes even just touching him anywhere else then gives him a huge static shock and the poor lad jumps. He must think I'm zapping him on purpose and I feel terrible, like I'm touching him with electric tape. No idea why but it's getting worse and I dread taking it off now.

Can anyone out there offer a solution to work with keeping his boett? is it just me? Swapping it is not an option unfortunately otherwise the sweet itch just goes on the rampage and can't get it back under control.

Thanks for the quick reply Sunshine :)
I've been using that krack attack hand cream daily so it can't be that unfortunately, if they were any softer I'd slide off that boett :D Even tried wearing my muckers to see if thick rubber soles help, makes no difference

Spencer's mam - so relieved this is not just me ! Let's hope someone gives us the answer :)

Is there anyway you can earth it. On cars they put metal strips which touch the ground. Not sure what you could use on a horse which wouldn't be a safety hazard, perhaps something which would break easily in an emergency

Do you use fabric conditioner when you wash it?

I didn't have a particular static problem, but there was less friction when I used fabric conditioner (only a little needed).

another to look out for is what you wear on your feet!

i've found that if i wear my WW boots on a hot day (even warm) then i get static shocks off everything, even when i brush Finn i get static shocks and he jumps a mile!
if it's wet or been raining i'm ok so i'm now careful of what i wear on my feet on hot days! :D

Have you tried wearing gloves?

I too have a bit of a static problem:eek: Always give myself a shock when
I close the car door, and when I am handing out blankets in work you can
actually 'see' the shock in a blue flash:eek:

Try the rubber gloves, I am never so bad if I hand out blankets wearing them, OR try a thicker leather pair.

I too would suggest washing the Boett and using fabric conditioner.

Hmm my dad has suggested I keep one hand on a metal fence post that is in the ground while I take off his boett, hmm that will be a neat trick :D
He has never removed a boett bless him :D

Going to try this tomorrow and see if it works, will let you know

This also happened to me but have started using a bit of fabric condition when washing the rug and its much better.

newrider.com