Bolting & Confidence

Mitzy Moo

Sep 27, 2016
I have ridden all my life as a pleasure rider and happy hacker. I have had horses on and off, losing my last one 4 years ago to old age. I have had 4 horses through out my life, one being a younger one which I brought on but he was on loan. Since then I have been going for lessons so I can keep riding. I decided I wanted to own a horse again so i have purchased 6 year old gelding. I just wanted a horse to hack alone and maybe do a bit of jumping and low level competing if I wished, but mostly hacking. The one I purchased was suitable for hacking had done a bit of jumping which I was happy to bring on if I needed to. I have had him a few weeks, in the few weeks I have had him he bolted when we was hacking which resulted in me falling and hitting my head on the pavement and having stitches. I haven't been on him since as I have been recovering, however I have been every day spending time in the field poo picking and just grooming him etc. On Sunday I was in the field with my husband we was poo picking and he tried to nip and spin and kick me. My husband shouted no he stopped didn't think any more of it. Monday was doing my usual routine, was poo picking and he came up to me and started trying to nip and kick me. I was firm said no, but the more i told him off the more he did he and he just kept coming at me. I got out the field which in hindsight I maybe shouldn't o done, but i am still recovering from fall. Yesterday tried the same again but with my husband. He is fine at the gate but when we went down the field he did it again, even with my husband being there and he has no fear of him. Since the fall, I have gone in with confidence with him but now I am scared of him and he clearly knows it. I am told it could be because he isn't worked but I just don't understand why he is acting this way, I have never been aggressive towards him or wacked him. I am worried that I am going to bring out more bad behavioural problems. I am not the most experienced rider in the world but I am not a novice but i have absolutely no idea how to do deal with this. I don't know what to do with him in the field and my main hacking route is the way I went and I am worried that the next time I go that way he will react the same. I just don't have the time to do more schooling with him. Has any one ever been in a similar situation? My family are telling me not to give up on him however they are not the ones who have purchased him and spending time with him and riding him. I am trying to think of it as what is best for him and maybe that isn't me. I am sorry for the long message but any suggestions would be appreciated.

He is 6 and going through the infamous Kevins! If I was you I'd send him back and get something a bit older and more mature.

He is 6 and going through the infamous Kevins! If I was you I'd send him back and get something a bit older and more mature.
The owner doesn't have to funds to buy him back so my options are to try find him another home but I won't get what I paid for him. Thank you

I have ridden all my life as a pleasure rider and happy hacker. I have had horses on and off, losing my last one 4 years ago to old age. I have had 4 horses through out my life, one being a younger one which I brought on but he was on loan. Since then I have been going for lessons so I can keep riding. I decided I wanted to own a horse again so i have purchased 6 year old gelding. I just wanted a horse to hack alone and maybe do a bit of jumping and low level competing if I wished, but mostly hacking. The one I purchased was suitable for hacking had done a bit of jumping which I was happy to bring on if I needed to. I have had him a few weeks, in the few weeks I have had him he bolted when we was hacking which resulted in me falling and hitting my head on the pavement and having stitches. I haven't been on him since as I have been recovering, however I have been every day spending time in the field poo picking and just grooming him etc. On Sunday I was in the field with my husband we was poo picking and he tried to nip and spin and kick me. My husband shouted no he stopped didn't think any more of it. Monday was doing my usual routine, was poo picking and he came up to me and started trying to nip and kick me. I was firm said no, but the more i told him off the more he did he and he just kept coming at me. I got out the field which in hindsight I maybe shouldn't o done, but i am still recovering from fall. Yesterday tried the same again but with my husband. He is fine at the gate but when we went down the field he did it again, even with my husband being there and he has no fear of him. Since the fall, I have gone in with confidence with him but now I am scared of him and he clearly knows it. I am told it could be because he isn't worked but I just don't understand why he is acting this way, I have never been aggressive towards him or wacked him. I am worried that I am going to bring out more bad behavioural problems. I am not the most experienced rider in the world but I am not a novice but i have absolutely no idea how to do deal with this. I don't know what to do with him in the field and my main hacking route is the way I went and I am worried that the next time I go that way he will react the same. I just don't have the time to do more schooling with him. Has any one ever been in a similar situation? My family are telling me not to give up on him however they are not the ones who have purchased him and spending time with him and riding him. I am trying to think of it as what is best for him and maybe that isn't me. I am sorry for the long message but any suggestions would be appreciated.

well you can't sell/pass him on safely without knowing what the problem is (wouldn't be fair to him or prospective purchaser) and if you find out then you won't have to, maybe he is picking up on your nerves, have you tried some form of calmer in his feed just to knock the edge off him whilst you get to the bottom of it - this would allow you to handle him more safely and set some ground boundries re-established - Charlie was like this with me saw me as a plaything and started taking liberties he wouldn't dare with my daughter - hes not ridden yet so his ground manners where important as everything is done from the ground, we started him on a calmer - Relax me - I think that's the name- hes like a different pony - hes in my sole care for 2 weeks and he is letting me pick out feet without being tethered and even if he does follow me around there's no sign of malice and therefore no nervous vibes from me, he won't be on it forever but he is going to be rebacked over winter and we feel once he is in proper work then he more than likely won't need any help.

The only other thing is getting someone in to sort him out for you. - do hope you get to the bottom of ...........

Reactions: joellie
I must admit, I do think it's really hard when you read stories like this about someone who's been landed with a difficult horse and is stuck trying to sort them out. I've been there myself and strangely the seller 'couldn't afford' to take it back either. Good luck whatever you decide to do OP.

Take a whip in the field and wave it at him when you want him out of you personal space - you need to think about your safety. I have a pair of yearlings who always want attention and cuddles but they have to know when enough is enough or I'd never get my poo-picking done! Thankfully I can just wobble the scoop and fork and say "Enough!" and they will wander off. Still make a fuss of your boy, but make it on your terms, when it suits you. Sounds like he is just treating you like another horse and vying for your attention. You could also have him blood tested to see if he is a rig.

I used to have to carry a wee blue rope(no fear or respect for a whip??don't know why something in his past must have led to this) into the field with me as mine at the start was awful, he would have charged at me and kicked out on the way past..aimed towards me, I would have flicked out the blue rope and if it landed him one on the arse well that was his fault for getting too close...I don't need to carry anything now and he will walk straight over to me in the field looking made a fuss of but he is calm and polite about the whole thing. So yes as @domane already said it is best to carry something to chase him off with so he can't get into your space, just wave it at first and if need be don't be frightened to give him a slap with it..

Are you sure he is a 6 year old? Is it possible he is younger than this? Does he have a field companion? Did he truly bolt - that is kept galloping flat out for home before he stopped? Did you fall off as he spun and this probably frightened him and off he went?

Some of the nipping and showing his heels to you could quite simply be an immature and juvenile horse without any sensible field company to keep manners on him? If he has company how is he in the pecking order. This behaviour would be one of the few times I would administer a short sharp whack on the bum with a long lunging whip (to keep yourself out of harms way) and Immediately react...not a few minutes later. Also wear hat, gloves and if you have it a back protector whilst you sort the field behaviour out, but sort it you must, and very quickly or he will became dangerous, not just stupidly playful with you.

If he didn't truly bolt and only tanked off when you fell as he spun then I think he can be given some leeway and invest in a very good pair of hands to help you with him. If you exhaust all reasons that might be pain related to make him bolt and if he does similar again with a more confident rider and you are 100 per cent it is a true blind and unstoppable bolt - then I would truly either PTS or sell on as a project with crystal clear disclosure. Personally I would PTS if he turns out to be a true bolter. I have net yet heard of a good long term outcome with a true bolter, unfortunately for their own sake and that of everyone who might try their hand at 'curing' them. PTS can be the kindest option.

It's very hard to advise without seeing the behaviour - as you can tell from the replies which range from him being a basically normal young horse who needs to learn some manners to being potentially dangerous.

So can you describe the 'bolt' in detail? What triggered it, what exactly did he do, how long did you stay on and when did he stop after you fell? Many horses will run a short distance then turn and look at what scared them. They may shy or spin first then jump forwards. That sort of thing can be hard to sit to, but is not a bolt. Some others are strong and tank off for fun. That is also not a bolt. A bolt is a horse running in blind terror in fear of its life and such a horse is oblivious to its rider no matter how experienced they are.

As for the field behaviour, it is very important that you learn to be able to drive your horse away when he crosses a boundary. It is hard to tell from your description whether he is being playful or trying to push you around. Either way you need to be in charge of moving him around not the other way around. Lots of trainers talk about who is in charge of whose feet: does he get you to move yours, or do you stand your ground and get him to move his? It needs to be the latter. Go into the field. march purposefully towards his shoulder and drive him off by swinging a rope, waving a whip. You don;t have to be aggressive, you just have to calmly inform him that you get to go wherever you want and you expect him to get out of your way. If he gets into your personal space, up the pressure 10 fold: wave your arms, bump him with the rope, wave a stick whatever. He is NOT allowed to get into your personal space without your invitation.

It might be useful for you to get a trainer out to show you. It is quite easy to do and is so effective at helping you stay in charge.

Finally is he is truly aggressive and is truly a bolter you may have a case against the seller for misrepresentation. If it was a dealer, you have more rights, but even private sellers cannot mis-sell the horse and truly dangerous or aggressive behaviours don't appear overnight generally.

newrider.com