Bolting when hacking in company!!

Fabio's Filly!

Oct 30, 2008
Lincolnshire
This is rather a strange thread for me to post with my last one having been about how lazy my boy was being!!!!

Went on a hack today for the first time with company (haven't had anyone to ride with and met someone local who said she'd ride out with me). The initial meet was great - both seemed fine! Had a leasurely walk for a good 30 mins then went to have a canter up the hill - me behind. He didn't like that and tried overtaking the other horse so i stopped him and walked on for a while. Then tried again with me in front, to see if he was any better with that. Well......he then decided to bolt in a bucking/galloping frenzy and wouldn't stop!! Managed to turn him but have left several big dints in a farmers field where i had to circle him to stop!!! (Don't think i was seen but will avoid that route for a while!!!!!) He was fine again when we walked trotted after that too.

We went our seperate ways and i then had another 15 mins hack back to mine. Had another canter up the hill on our own and he was fine (albeit a bit lazy, definitely back to normal!!!)

I'm not too concerned as it was the first time we'd hacked in company so think he was probably just excited. At least i know what to expect next time.

Anyone else had this problem though? If so - any suggestions on how to go about it next time? Although i'm not easily unseated, the more worrying thing is if he goes onto a road when he bolts as obviously its dangerous. Most of the time he's good but if he wants to he's fairly hard to stop as he's a strong horse!

My boy is an occasional bolter, but hes never done it seriously on a road, so you might be ok with that side of things.

Maybe next time put him in front, go somewhere with lots of space or circular and if he goes push him on til he is fed up and then some more.....

How was he trotting together FF? I agree he was probably over excited. I'd try walking him in all positions, then ramp up to trot and see how that goes with him in front and behind first before trying the canter again. You could also try him overtaking the other horse in trot, then the other horse overtaking him and him trotting behind. Try him in all positions and see how that goes. In fact, I think that's all I'd do for a couple of rides, until he realises its not exciting going out with another horse. Then try a short canter from trot in a field with a big hedge at the end.;)

Trot was slightly more uptempo than normal but nothing over the top.

I'll definitely just walk, trot until he's used to other horses - then try the open space - go for it!!!

i have the same problem with D = although i have to say he is not a bolter but a bucker! he did it last saturday - i have walked and trotted him for a year now and have just started to introduce canter occasionally. He doesnt do it every time so its a bit like a lottery when asking for canter. I have contacted his previous owner who says 'thats how he is!' So i know how you feel. Only advise i can offer is to walk and trot him for while then when you feel itssafe introduce canter slowly - i have a balance strap so that i dont become unseated during these episodes! - good luck x

Try shorter sessions, never trot/canter in the same place and do lots of transitions to make sure he's listening before you go fast! See if you can get your riding partner to canter in front and get your boy to stay in walk: do you use different bits for schooling and hacking? You might want a stronger bit for hacking for brakes.

Not tried different bits - didn't want to go down the road of using something stronger if i didn't need to but will see how he is after we go out in company a few more times. I ride him in a hanging cheek snaffle, french link. He's fine in that when i'm schooling or hacking alone.

Its really frustrating to have such a lazy horse when schooling but one you can't stop when he decides wayhay! we're off!! At least i know he can move if the mood takes him though!!

If it does carry on being a problem then obviously i will have to look at changing his bit for just when we're out with company. Any suggestions if i do have to do this? Nothing too severe, just a step up from what he's in at the minute.

Here's what I would do:

I would treat your first few outings together as an education.

Initially stick with doing what he is comfortable at.

In trot, try getting variations within that pace and when he is good at that and listening to you you can think about introducing canter.

When you do introduce canter think of it more in terms of transitions work. Have a go at getting just 5 paces or so and then coming back to trot and getting a quality transition into and out of canter. This way he won't be expecting to be able to bomb off and should be listening to you and expecting the downward transition.

As you begin to improve then you can give him a few more paces at a time before making your downward transition.

newrider.com