Bond building and games to play?

Daiiz

Love You Tuffet
Jan 15, 2008
In A Stable
Well, I've just got a new horse and I wanted to find some games to play in the school (from the floor) to help us both build confidence in each other.
Do you have any little games or things you like to do with your horses that help with this?
I was planning to do this thursday night, so replies sooner rather than later please guys :)

Keep posting after thurs tho! :)
x

Ideas include:

- Long-reining
- Join-up
- A mini obstacle course - go in between jump stands at varying widths apart, over tarpaulin, over and through poles
- Loose schooling (on the flat and over jumps)
- leading in-hand, teaching your horse to walk, trot and halt when asked to, in-hand
- In-hand hacks at weekends: you could get your horse used to popping over/through puddles, etc.
- You could get him used to things like unbrellas, wheelbarrows - anything you can think of! This will help him to build confidence and trust in you, and establish your leadership.
- You could also do some groundwork - teaching him to walk backwards away from you, towards you, sideways when asked.
- Gain his confidence and trust in you further by getting him comfy with you running your hands all over his body and picking up all of his feet.
- Spend time with him in the field, just stroking and grazing with him in the herd. Manovering around the other horses in the field will also reinforce your role as his top leader.

Good luck with him - how exciting!

x

my boy was very nervous when i 1st bought him:( we did heaps of lungeing and loose schooling/joinup,than longreining and we built a scary obstacle course with xmas decs,tarpolin and a scarecrow lol we'v bonded really well :D enjoy ** new horsey and have fun:D:D xx

newrider.com