bonding

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
I have just bought a yearling filley does any one have any advice on bonding.:)

The only advice I can give you is:-
1. Spend as much time with her as possible
2. Make sure you are the one that feeds her and picks her feet etc.
3. Always give plenty of praise when she does something you ask.
4. Never lose your temper

I bought a 7 year old about 8 months ago and I think we have bonded really well and basically I have just done all of the above.

I wish you loads of luck,

Lisa.

:)

P.S Whats her name and have you got a picture you can post??

Basically what Lisa said: spend as much time with her as possble, make sure she associates you with Good things (ie food, cuddles, companionship), use positive reinforcement, and you could use TTEAM to help with her training.

Her name is Calma, i only got her on tuesday so i am going to take some pictures this weekend. Do you think it is to early to take her walks around the estate to encounter cars etc.. or let her settle in for a few weeks first, she was breed on a farm and i dont think she has been on a road before?

What a lovely name, when you get some photos post one on so we can see what she's like.

I'm not an expert on this but from my own experience I would probably concentrate on her getting to know you a bit and then maybe walking her around the yard area where she will be living. You will probably know when its time to take her a little bit further, she will start to relax and start to trust you a bit more. Just take everything one step at a time with her and make every experience a good one.

All the best and let us know how you get on.

Lisa.

:)

Hopefully she'll live up to her name and not give you any trouble :p As regards to going out on the roads, if she's not used to it then she needs to be introduced slowly.

Are there any fields where she can see the main road where she can be turned out, preferably with an older horse who's seen and done it all?

If she can make friends with an older, more experienced horse, then when it comes to taking her out for a walk on the road for the first time, she can walk behind the experienced horse (being led by his owner/rider). She's far less likely to balk if her friend is along for support. She'll probably do exactly what he does, so make sure the horse she walks out with is completely bombproof.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see the pictures :D

newrider.com
Back