Boooo, sore back :(

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
I think Rubic has a sore back. Not sure. With the weather I've not ridden much but the past few times I've ridden she's just not been quite right even with a lot of time off between rides. Last night she was worse her head kept coming up randomly as if she was lame and she shook her head from side to side a good couple of times. Got off and popped her on the lunge and she just seemed rather fed up (but no head nodding or shaking) a bit reluctant but could walk/trot/canter fine, tracking up but perhaps a little tense & stiff. Took saddle off and poked and prodded and her muscle was trembling a bit on one side when you sweep your hand over it. I don't know if its a pressure point or she's tweaked something. Saddle looks a good fit despite me not particularly liking it (it's too big for me and a bit too forward cut for Rubic - saddler said it wouldnt cause an issue but we'd be better with something else) and a saddler sorted it back in October she's not changed much since but maybe I've been squint since the crash because my back was sore down one side. I'm wondering if this has been going on for a while though because she's never been particularly supple but I always blamed myself for that.

Oh well, week off work and no horse to ride. Will just lunge her to keep her ticking over and try to get someone out to have a look and if they don't come up with anything then vet and new saddle at some point in the near future too once I work out exactly what is wrong! Ramble over. :(

Ugh it's worrying when you don't know what is wrong but you know something isn't right! My money would be on the saddle but having her back checked will definitely reveal more, I hope it's nothing serious. Get well vibes to Rubic x

Sending healing vibes to you both.
I would think it could be saddle,she could have changed abit since Oct,weight etc so if it was me I would get that looked into and also maybe physio or vet. Malaika was sore not from saddle but from loading her front end,it travelled up through her shoulders and to the front part of her back a session of some physio healing hands and some new stretches and all is good again.
Hope its something simple and again healing vibes to you both x

Well done for noticing it and doing something about it. Fingers crossed it's easily sorted :)

So glad you picked it up. When I didn't trust what my saddle fitter had told me I had a physio out who found issues and asked to see the saddle. She then highlighted exactly the issues with fit that I'd raised with the saddler and also told me he'd over stuffed it to try to make it fit and it was rock hard as a result.

I've always felt guilty that I didn't have the balls to be more forthright from the start and that Joy has suffered as a result.

The saddle looks alright - good clearance, no bridging, panels making contact where they should although I know she would be better with a straighter cut saddle. She's lost a little weight but tbh it's not so noticeable round her girth and the twinge is (I think) at the back of where the saddle sits and it isn't lifting at the back. Luckily I got a bit of money and was going to buy a new saddle as the saddle is also too big for me so I wanted one that was better for both of us. I think if it's the saddle then it might be something more unusual. I am wondering if it is related to me being squint because I think that's the side I was collapsing to :unsure: might go get myself checked too lol

Have phoned the back man and he said he might make it out this week.

It certainly would not hurt to get yourself checked out,I know with my knee before my op I had exercises from my physio to help with my balance while riding as I was slightly scew wiff compensating more to the right to keep of my left knee.
I knew but didn't know how much I was doing it.
Good luck with the back man and all fingers crossed everything is ok.

newrider.com