Boot zips hurt my legs

fielder

new irish rider
Aug 22, 2005
I wore my long boots on a day long hack recently. We stopped a few times during the day and got off but the pain of walking around in my riding boots was all I can remember. They kept cutting in to my achilles. Is there anything I could have done to ease the pain or anything for future trips?

Do they have a thin leather flap on the inside that you make sure is between the zip and you? Long boots aren't designed for walking in though so it might just be something you have to be aware of,

I think they do. I didn't walk that far and is no other shoes to wear. They were really sore. They were expensive enough too and had the flap outside to protect the zip

I love long black walking boots and have owned several pairs through my long life and walk miles in them in London streets.
Im sorry you are sore but I was warned by the saddler who sold me my very expensive riding boots that I should not walk in them. I do now groom and tack up in them as everyone does that on my new yard.

Reactions: fielder
The only thing I can think of is long, fine socks. I avoid zips if I can for this very reason.

I've found most long boots hurt at the back there for a bit, as they settle and crease a bit, but most ease up with use. 2 very thin pairs of socks is my go to if any boots rub, 1000 mile socks are great.

Do they have a thin leather flap on the inside that you make sure is between the zip and you? Long boots aren't designed for walking in though so it might just be something you have to be aware of,
I checked and there isn't a leather flap. I would have thought there would have been of that I just hadn't it in place. It was grand while on the horse but very difficult to walk in

I try not to walk on my competition boots literally put on before I ride and remove straight after. But my everyday riding boots are super comfy but again I remove straight after I get off.

The boots are designed really for walking in but they do get better with wear.

newrider.com