Bot eggs removal! An easy way please??

LauraGeeGee

Oct 5, 2008
Collier Row, Essex
Yesterday I noticed Bot eggs on Rosie's legs.

I picked them off with my fingernails and disposed of them properly.

Never had this problem with horses before. She has recently been wormed and I will be worming again late Autumn using the appropriate wormer for bots.

Has anyone got any hints or tips on how to remove the eggs or prevent them clinging to the coat in the first place? I know you can get a bot knife and was going to get one asap, picking them off by hand did take ages! I covered her in fly spray before putting her back out and paid more attention to legs and belly than usual!

Not sure how long fly spray would work with the rain though. I've heard that Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray could be a good fly repellent, I think may have some actually. Would this be any good? It's oily so maybe that would help prevent the eggs clinging on?

Pesky parasites!:ninja:

I use a razor blade to scrape them off the top of the coat.. it works a treat, and it must be done in a flat side up and down motion (not pointed side to side)..

I'm waiting for these pesky things to appear on Roxy.... Darn them! I use a bot fly knife, cheap & simple even it does look like something one should be serving cheese with... :giggle:

However.... Question(s): how do you, if you do, dispose of them? Or do you just flick off & job done? And secondly, what's a grooming block? (Or is this something I should've had in my grooming kit a long time ago...?) :unsure:

It's like a charcoal block, which takes mud and scurf out of your horses coat and in the past I found it good for when my horse is shedding winter coat, and seems as mentioned above, good for removing bots.. you can get it from most tack shops:biggrin: And yes, it is a useful piece of equipment in your grooming box:bounce:

Yep another vote for the Bot block! or grooming block, I've had both they are the same just different label on the packet! I've seen knives for it too.

newrider.com