Bought my first horse - question

vheska

Aug 29, 2023
I just bought my first horse and have a question for experienced equestrians. I leased for a couple years before purchase, so I'm really looking forward to owning my own and to see what we accomplish together.

My question is - can you train a horse to be in front of the leg? My trainer told me I needed to get a "kick ride" horse as an amateur. I understand the logic for safety reasons, but now during lessons I am SO TIRED because I have to keep kicking my horse to go, and sometimes I can't get into the canter either.

Now my excitement has kinda turned to frustration because it's hard to keep a stable seat and enjoy the ride when I feel like I'm fighting with my horse. So is it possible to train him to be in front of the leg? I hope I didn't make a mistake in buying him.

Thanks for any input. Appreciate it.

In short - YES.

You'll probably never train him to be a horse who's default is go and is always looking to move up a gear, but you can certainly train him to be well schooled and responsive. It will, however, take a lot of self discipline if you're going to do it yourself.

You need to be totally consistent, and upbeat. Make sure you always ask correctly so there is no scope for misunderstanding. If he doesn't respond the next ask must be firm and no nonsense. And if you get to a third ask he's told off. Never block a forward response to these aids, not even if it's more forward than you want - your sole aim is to get him moving off your leg. And in a pace do not allow the energy or pace to slack, at the first sign it is you get after him - every single time. Remember to praise the correct forward movement though.

The other option is to get a pro to do some schooling on him, being very clear with them what you want, and then have some lessons with them so you can maintain the work done. Be prepared to learn things yourself, sometimes a kick along type is very different with a more knowledgeable rider, but if that's the case don't be offended, just see it as you have a better horse than you thought and vow to improve yourself!

Yep, all the things @carthorse said.

I have a slow poke youngster that I backed last year and I’m currently working on this with, he’s now responsive to transitions and got a lovely trot that he won’t try and slow from and canter transition is instant but he will sometimes break pace but it’s improving daily, but his walk is still awfully slow and he grinds to a halt if you aren’t constantly on top of him, but it’s vastly better than it was 6 months ago and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel! I know he’ll be great eventually.

Yes, but it does need constant attention.

I have a 14 year old cob who I bought two years ago. He's a lovely ride but if you don't stay on top of him he reverts gradually to default slow-cob mode, especially at walk, which becomes just a dawdle. I have a sharer, and she and I have to agree that "This week we are going to get after Sid" so that he just doesn't get away with it. Eventually he perks up and walks along nicely again and we get trot and canter transitions on the first ask. But if he's allowed to slack, he will slack!

Many RS horses need a leg on or kick to continue forward. My remedy (going large) is to ride transitions, alternating 6 strides walk and 6 strides trot. Once that is easy, go for a longer trot, may be half way round the school.
Another exercise, (after the previous) if you have the school to yourself is to walk a 10 m circle at the corner, trot on and walk another 10 m circle half way down the long side, trot on and a further walk circle at the next corner.
Horses do better when they know what to expect and I always tried to avoid what I called the RS treadmill where an instructor tells one to go large but doesnt say how long one is to do it for.
The trainer Rashid says that when communicating a gait with a horse you have to provide speed, direction and destination. The destination is vital. Even out hacking if I am going to trot or canter, I decide how far we are going to go in that trot or canter. If the mare stops before we reach that point, I simply ask for canter or trot again.

Reactions: vheska
Yes and no. You can educate him to be more responsive, but you won't be able to change his temperament, if he likes life in the slower lane.

However take him somewhere new, you may find that perks them up.
Have you any open spaces, I don't find horses need asking twice to keep going.

If you are tired, you are doing more work than he is. But, how fit actually is he? I have found that those who are more laid back, won't offer or maintain a gait unless they are fit enough.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new horse.

Reactions: vheska
newrider.com