BowBed bedding

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I went to a new shavings supplier last week at my wits end because Ben is so wet I have been taking out half his bedding every time I muck out! It looked like a couple of buckets had been thrown over the bedding twice a day and was costing a fortune.!

They recommended I try BowBed as a base layer and then add a bale of shavings over the top for softness. The BowBed is brilliant, really absorbent and stops the wet from spreading. I would really recommend it.

Reactions: Jessey
I'd never heard of it either, had a quick google but there seems to be two kinds that they do, one made from shredded rape stalks (which I'm quite interested in because I like there to be a use for everything) and the other is wood shavings of various coarseness. Which one are you using?

I'd never heard of it either, had a quick google but there seems to be two kinds that they do, one made from shredded rape stalks (which I'm quite interested in because I like there to be a use for everything) and the other is wood shavings of various coarseness. Which one are you using?
It is the one with the shredded rape stalks I am using. What I like about it is the fact that is gives a solid feel to the bed and doesn’t move. So when I just had shavings Ben would wee and then spread the wee everywhere as he moved around. The wet shavings was then mixed with dry to create a huge mess. The BowBed stays in one place so the wet bedding doesn’t get mixed in with the dry. It is really absorbant and holds the wet together in one place so I take out much less. I put in two bales of BowBed on Friday with one bale of woodpeaker shavings on top. By Tuesday (5 days) I still had a nice bed that doesn’t need topping up yet. It isn’t a very soft bedding which is why they recommended putting shavings over the top, but for a very wet horse it really is very good. Plus I buy it for £6.25 a bale so cheaper than shavings as well!

newrider.com