braiding?

When plaiting the mane, try to keep it as tight to the neck as possible so that it's easier to roll up. Use hairspray to keep it in place. I always use at least two bands per plait if I'm going to a show - those bands have a habit of snapping the second the the judge pays attention to you!

If your horse has a particularly long (or just scraggly) mane, use a Native plait instead of those little balls - they look way lush!

For tails, instead of plaiting the whole way down, use a series of bands and fold the end under the main plait so that you can't tell it hasn't been plaited to the end - it saves a lot of time and still looks great!

You don't say whether you are in the states or the UK. Braiding is different and we could help you more if you would specify. Anyway, for the mane, never EVER EVER use rubber bands. Yarn is the only way to go. Quic Braid is the most wonderful invention ever. You can get a grip on ever the slipperiest :D mane. When braiding, always start with the same section for every braid. On tails, always braid to the end of the tail bone. I saw someone at a show two weeks ago. She only braided the top eight inches or so of her horse's tail. I don't think she realized how bad it looked. My biggest tip is, if you cannot braid well, have someone else do it for you. It doesn't cost that much compared to the other showing fees, and sloppy braids are disrespectful to the judge and fellow competitors.

I have always used bands - special plaiting bands - not ordinary elastic bands - and never had any trouble with them.

And this is the tail plait I was talking about - hope it doesn't offend you myEllie.

RobbieBum.jpg

newrider.com