Bridle/headcollar trouble...getting desperate

lil chicken

Apr 10, 2009
sunny nottinghamshire :)
Recently I have been reduced to tears while tacking up/getting in from the field owing to the fact Toby has discovered a new game-dodge the headcollar/bridle:mad:

Toby is usually the sweetest pony in the world-whinnies to me,trots up to me in the field(when not carry tack of any kind),perfect when ridden... Yet when he sees the bridle or headcollar it is a different story. He either just keeps his head glued to the grass or spins round and trots off in the other direction.:mad:

I have tried treats- he just ignores them and carries on eating. I have tried physically lifting his head off the ground,obviously this has no effect. I have even tried something similar to joinup(flicked the rope at him and used aggressive body language to chase him away. Then he would perhaps realise it would just be easier to be caught)-this didn't work either-he just looked at me to say "What the hell are you doing?"

His tack is spotless, I had his saddle and back checked and everything fits him fine -he doesn't seem to be in pain as he is excellent when ridden anyway and really seems to enjoy himself.

He only does this with me(when my brother comes along he lifts his head straight up). I have tried being more assertive(like I said with the joinup thing)and it just doesn't work- it seems like he thinks it is some sort of game.

I am getting really upset and frustrated with him and desperately need advice-I haven't had time to ride the last few times because he wouldn't be caught. Can anyone think why he might be doing this? Or has anyone got any tips or techniques that I could use?

thanks x

Have you got anyone exerienced around to help you? When you do manage to catch him then do lots of groundwork instead of riding. Get him really listening to you on the ground.

When you go to catch him make sure you have a long time to spend. If he won't lift his head up then put the lead rope around his neck and use that at first. Make sure you are careful in case he turns and runs and wear a hat and gloves. Basically you have to stay in the field until he is caught and you musn't give up-don't use treats as a bribe just as a reward if you want to. Then when he allows you to catch him, give him a treat then release him. It's worth spending time the first time because after that it will be easier! Good luck.

Can you get close enough to get a lead rope round his neck? If CP is being a silly bugger I always chuck the rope round his neck and then put the headcollar on.

you need to make sure that his time ridden and spent on the yard is as enjoyable for him as possible. I have similar issues if I want to get mine in early for a ride now the grass is coming through. So firstly I go armed with smelly treats (those herbal ones are good as he can smell them a mile off) and he gets a treat both for being caught and getting to the gate. He then gets a haylage net all the while he is on the yard, I keep yard time/fussing to a minimum, and following a ride he gets treats with his carrot stretches.

That said, if your horse is prone to weight gain this may not be your answer!

Thankyou for all your advice:)

The last few times I have just been putting his bridle on , praising him lots and then just taking it off so he doesn't just associate it with being ridden...

so far,no luck -he is still just as difficult,but i will keep trying- I will put into practice all your tips:)

It is a frustrating situation for you however we have all met with this situation at one time or other so you are not alone. You need to change your approach and not feel angry or upset about it that is important. Your pony can sense how you feel more than you know.

He is also probably telling you he associates you with pain and discomfort. So you should change your state of mind and his. It will take time and patience. You have to persuade him that being with you isn't such a bad thing.

You will have to spend time just being with him in the field to start with.

1. without a headcollar
2. with one over your shoulder

Just be with him and try to approach him and stroke him. You can also give him a pear or apple and then walk away.

When you can catch him, groom him and do some ground work with him and reward him with an apple of pear (I found this to work well).

He then will think that he may get an apple if he lets you catch him.

Chin up be patient and let us know how you progress.

newrider.com