bridle

It depends why you want to use it. Is there a specific reason that you're looking at the hackamore?

Contrary to some people's opinion bits aren't the work of the devil :) They can be kinder in some ways than some bitless bridles depending on the type that you use and the hands that hold the reins.

I quite like the English Hackamore and Saffy goes well in it BUT it can be very severe in the wrong hands and if it's not adjusted correctly.

Personally (and I know that others will disagree) I think that it is preferable that a horse can work both bitted and bitless as it gives you greater scope for the future if, for example, you want to do dressage or you need to sell your horse.

Ditto Bay Mare - especially for a young horse as if she matures only having been ridden in a hackamore then, should you decide to compete in dressage (are forms of bitless bridles are alllowed?) you may come across a few problems adjusting.
i would try her in both; a bitless bridle, if used sympathetically and carefully, can be a really useful tool in training a young, green experience-gaining horse- go for it fopr a few days/weeks and see how it goes - if she goes betetr in one ratehr than another then this should help you decide.
i personally love english hackamores as they can be really useful, so good luck with your youngster!

I've heard of some dressage competitions that allow bitless bridles, not affiliated or riding club run though and like you say probably not likely to be either.

Well in the 3 years I've had my arab I've never rode in a bit! I've irond out a whole load of problems and the bit to me is just an unnecerserry item and can often do nothing but torment a horse! However I would recommend you have a bit of knowlage of NH and have done basic groundskills before riding bitted or bitless! (in my opinion its safer to ride bitless). If you do ride in a hackamore I would advise that you have a lesson with a NH instructer to learn the basics so you know what your doing! Just experament and have fun :)

Can you just clarify what sort of hackamore you mean? I think you probably mean a mechanical one, like an English or German hackamore. In which case you are talking about something completely different to mayoguiness, who uses a rope hackamore. :) I don't think you are going to need NH lessons to ride in a mechanical hackamore, they give a huge amount of control, and as said above, need to be used with care.

Realy? I didn't even realise there were all these other types of hackamore! I thought life was simple without bits but it looks like its just got a whole lot more complicated!lol. Even so, NH is a good way to go. It helps a lot when riding if you you are using NH techniques and gives you a lot of controle!! Especially when riding a young horse ;)

:D Go look up a site that sells tack and search on hackamore mate!
I started my youngsters bitless in a rope halter, but they do learn to wear a bit as well. Makes them adaptable.

As discussed before, bitless briddles are accepted differently by different horses, and differnt ones act on differnt parts of a horses head, poll/nose.

A bitted bridle in the right hands is a million times better than a bitless bridle in the wrong hands...

the bit to me is just an unnecerserry item and can often do nothing but torment a horse!

I appreciate that you don't like to ride with a bit but please don't make statements about bits which just aren't true. Used correctly in good hands the bit DOES NOT have to torment a horse. Believe me, my mare WOULD NOT tolerate a bit if it were 'tormenting' her. You can be as harsh in a bitless as you can be with a bit if your hands are bad.

Lot1983 said:
A bitted bridle in the right hands is a million times better than a bitless bridle in the wrong hands...

I completely agree :D

Sorry Bay Mare I'm not trying to offend you but all the horses I've seen (which has built up to be quite a few) and that my freinds have seen, there hasn't been one case where the bitted bridle has had anywhere near the effect of a bittless one! Some people swear that without a bit thier horse would be uncontrolable yet I know a person like this and affter 1 NH lesson the horse in being ridden arounnd calmly in a rope headcoller! Its just my opinion but so far in my life I have never seen a case where a bit has been neserserry and the horses of what I have seen tend do dislike them! Some people have tried aboat every bit under the sun but still cant controle thier horse! Personaly I just prefer to see no metal in a horses mouth :) Not that I am saying that what you are doing is wrong! Every person must find there own path!

The reason a bit was invented was becasue it made it easier to control the horse and speeded up the training process.

You can do anything with a bit or without, it's all down to the skill of the person and time invested, the equipment is irelivant imho.

Personaly i find if you can't control a horse with a bit you've got no chance without, not that you can't without just it's easier with.

Last edited:
Well in my opinion if you cant control a horse without a bit you shouldn't be riding the horse at all! It shouldn't matter how long it takes a horse to be trained without a bit as you need to get his trust and companionship before you ride anyway! I dont think it does take longer training a horse without a bit anyway. If anything I think it seems to be quicker and more enjoyable!! (not that I'm trying to have a go ;) )

I think you should be careful about making statements like that. Telling people they shouldn't be riding at all unless they can do it bitless, well, it's the sort of thing that puts so many people off natural horsemanship. There are so many people who would benefit from a bit of NH style help, and I'm sure enjoy it, but they get put off by thinking that they will be told off or looked down on because they use a bit, shoes, rugs and stable their horses. We need to win friends and encourage people I think. :)
How a horse is best controlled is really down to how they have been trained, and their current owner may well not be their original trainer. If the horse is used to a bit, can be easily controlled in a bit, then it's not broken so why fix it? Most people just want to ride safely, not work their way through a levels programme or follow a particular approach religiously. So I think the most important thing is that they are confident and safe. If a bit does that for them, and they aren't hurting their horse, then where's the harm?

Bits, saddles, stirrups, rugs, shoes etc were all invented/developed for very good reasons, whether those reasons are still valid today depends on the individual circumstances i guess.

Does beg the question why anyone uses any tack at all when, given enough time and skill you can ride without anything.

I'm guessing because it's easier to control the horse which makes it safer, who knows :)

Last edited:
Didn't some people about 2000 years ago drive horses into rivers and slowly back them and then come out riding them after a few sessions in the river ?

Not the native americans who did it all on one go a bit like rough riding till the horse was worn out in the river.

Or i could be wrong, memory is going :eek:

newrider.com