Brilliant result for Rubi & Monty!

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
Yesterday Monty and Rubi entered their first test against able-bodied riders. Rubi was just coming out of season and this was also her first test on grass. You can imagine how nervous Monty was about this - first time on grass. first time in season and first time competing together against able-bodied riders....

Rubi went better than ever before. She was working properly from behind from the word go (she has been taking half an hour or so to do that recently) and the whole test was really accurate....

...so accurate that they got a phenomenal 71.4% and a 6th place :D :D :D

You can imagine the grin on Monty's face now!!

MASSIVE CONGRATULTIONS :D :D :D :D

That is a fantastic result.

So pleased to hear you did well.

Congratulations Monty - how fantastic - you did it, girl!!! :D

Thank you. I'm pretty thrilled myself. And one of the best parts, is knowing that we can do even better, with a llittle more time to develop the partnership, and to extend Rubi's skills. She's still quite green. Before I had her, she'd been brought on slowly, but correctly. I've tried not to over face her, as I'm ever aware that I'm asking her to adapt her skills to a lop sided rider, who talks and uses two sticks, rather than uses her heels. She's adapting really well for a relative youngster, but I don't want to push it.

But thank you anyway. It's nice to be able to come away with, not so much 'I won the competition', as 'I won in my own way', which is essentially a personal thing. She performed as chev described, plus in gale force winds, warming up on a large grassy area, and I know she thought about going off for a canter with me, but I asked her not to, and she obliged me. It was a really secure feeling, being able to trust her in that way. Have to confess to patting myself on the back too for staying calm and not panicking and pulling on the reins when I thought she was going for a spin. She did a a little bit of prancing, on the spot,so I think the pimple bum jods helped! Had an awful time dismounting!!;)

She did a good test for that stage in her education and our relationship, but the best is yet to come, I'm sure.:)

newrider.com