bringing a horse back into work slowly?

beanz's mum

Kilmucklin Girl
Jan 18, 2006
Taunton.Somerset.
has anyone ever done this, i am going to see this horsey well pony soon :D and was wondering as he hasnt been ridden in a while, ive done something like it, when we were breaking tom we had to take it slow etc but i dont think its the same as bringing a horse back into work:eek:

Yes you will have to bring him back slowly.

Start off with light short sessions, 30 min max. Mainly walk & some trot. Then every week you can add a bit more trot and add 10 min.

The reason you need to take it slow is that not only you are building a good foundation but it will give his body ample time to built stamina & not tax his muscles & joints.

So even though he'll feel fresh & ready to take on the world, keep in mind that he's more apt to hurt himself and if he does pull something: it's back to rest & start all over once it heals. And we all know that it can take from a couple of weeks to a couple of months for that to happen!

Have fun with your pony! Just thought of this: you could spend the first week just going on nice 30min hacks. At least the scenery makes the time more exciting in a way. (If you're one of those people that find flat work boring;) )

I wouldn't canter until at least the 4rth or 5th week. But then again it depends on the pony (his age, how long he's been off work, why he was off work & his current health)

Last edited:
well im going to see him in a few weeks (when dad comes down from northampton:rolleyes: ) he sounds brill ill get dad to take some piccies so all of NR can enjoy him lol:D and ill make dad take some of beanz while im at it:p :D

newrider.com