Bringing an older broodmare back into work

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Any advice or tips... anyone with experience in doing this.....

How long did each stage approximately take.... ie at the moment I walk inhand and trot loose in the round pen because she doesnt seem to be very active in her field prefering to stand around unless chased by one of my Fells.

I would like to introduce long reining and more ridden work firstly at the walk then a bit at the trot but very slowly to start with. I have no idea how safe she would be on the roads so will have to just take her out and see how she goes. But at the very nearest part at the bottom of her field she doesnt seem to bother with the lorries going past, so that is very hopeful:smug::smile::smile:

Last edited:
No different to getting them fit normally. My old lady was back in proper work by the time Belle (her first foal was weaned) as I started riding with the foal at foot. She was back to full competition fitness about 6 months after that. So 12 weeks for basic fitness but then depends on what you are doing - she was competing PSG/Inter I and they have to build up a lot of muscle to perform that level of work.

How old is she, how long has she been out of work, and what workload/level of fitness did she have before?

newrider.com