bringing horse back into work

drewpoo22

Jun 16, 2005
hey everyone, i'm going to start riding my mare again now the weather's warming up but since she's had the whole winter off pretty much (except the occassional quick bareback ride) I am wondering what is a good program to get her into shape again both physically and mentally. eg. week 1 just walking for 30 mins each day??? ideas anyone? :)

hey everyone, i'm going to start riding my mare again now the weather's warming up but since she's had the whole winter off pretty much (except the occassional quick bareback ride) I am wondering what is a good program to get her into shape again both physically and mentally. eg. week 1 just walking for 30 mins each day??? ideas anyone? :)

Sugar was off work for over two months due to an injury and when I started to ride again the vet advised me to do gentle work for about 30 minutes a day, 4--5 days a week. This was walk/trot work on the flat with some hill work at walk. Each week we built up the length of riding time as well as the activity (more trot work in week two, etc.) Since your horse is only coming back from a winter off and not an injury, I'm guessing a bit of cantering in week one wouldn't hurt your horse though like it would have Sugar.

it's all about building your horse up & you have to guage how well she's coping .

so , yes basically starting walk work & progressing forwards , hill work is always good but try not to go mad , remember that for this type of work we've got the easy job sat atop!

you are aiming to build fitness & muscle but the aim is not to wear her out

little & often is definately all important

pole work can also be good as you will need to start suppling & helping build muscle

& is you are short on time in han work wouldn't go amiss as opposed to not doing anything as you don't have time to ride , again pole work in hand can be useful

good luck:)

My pudding (Storm) is coming back into work and it goes something like this:
30 / 35 mins per day on horse walker
10 mins lunging
30 minutes schooling in walk and trot - no canter as yet, we both can't be trusted!!!!
She's had most of the winter off - in an on and off way - she's porked out through no fault of her own and I HAVE to get her fit again! She'll be coming home to live soon tho, so lots of steep hills hacking will hopefully shift some weight........

Well
I am now on the sixth week of getting xena fit.
For the first few weeks though only walk lets say 20 mins a day.
Then gradually build this up and introduce small periods/bursts of trot.

Then again work on this, and after a few more weeks short burst of canter.
Hill work is also good and riding on roads strengthens the tendons i think.

I am now cantering abit and doing abit of hill work and road work 3/4 times a week

Have fun xxxx

Thanks for all your input so far everyone:D it's very helpful. i was also wondering how long i should be riding again before i start jumping?.. and what are some good exercises to get her mind focused on me?

I would wait until her fitness levels are up before attempting jumps. A couple of weeks into your programme bring some trotting poles and cavallettis. Making your schooling sessions interesting by not doing the same mudane exsersise over and over again will help keep her focussed on you:)

Elements liking the trotting poles, serpentines, using jump stands or even better witches hats as obstacels down the middle of the arena and winding in and out of them keeps a horse focussed. I also download dressage tests off the internet and once a week we do a dressage test, a bit of fun for both rider and horse:D

Going on a hack is another way of breaking the monotony of the arena and also keeps both horse and rider focussed. You can still school a horse out on a hack:D

Ground excersises are also good.

My horses each have a programme which we try and follow it includes ridden work, ground work, day off:)

newrider.com