bringing in during the day

charlie1980

Aug 26, 2008
Hi,

I have 3 boys, one turns out as a companion to another horse, but my two others inc one heavyweight grass churning machine are out together 24/7

They hate all coming in at night and I did all that earlier in the year and it was not good for the boys, one who has bad stable vices and hates to be boxed for long lengths.

anyway my fields are churned up and I am thinking about whether it would be a good idea to bring boys in for a few hours during the day when someone will be in and out.of the yard...and turning out late afternoon/early evening when the ground isnt so soft.

It seems to be daytime there getting churned out, because they hang around near me when I am about.

what are peoples ideas on this matter?

We have a winter field solely for churning to pulp. My guess is if dont like coming in at night they still wont like it daytime, it may help field but yr putting stabled horses out in colder weather.

I dont see the point in bringing horses during the day unless it summer for lami reasons.

I would just leave them out. I understand that your fields are horrid but as long as they have hay etc they should be fine unless your worried about mud rash etc.

Nikki xxxx

One of them suffers mud fever..........he is clipped back on the legs, well its growing back now, but has pigs oil and sulpher on them. Problem is he is standing in mud getting deeper as the rain goes on as the fields are poor draining.

thanks for the advice though, I try to bring them in if there really wet for a few hours so maybe while i am on the yard I will do this, but not bring them in all the time.

Just trying to think of a compromise........which isnt easy really.

Btw one of s shire x and the other a native with woolly coat.

I think if you think it is right for your horses then bring them in during the day. Angel is in today - no chance did she want to go out in the rain, took her out to muck out and she practically dragged me back in!
Some are happier in during the day as more to watch etc!

xx

well my worst fear was confirmed when I went down and me and my mate were doing the fields, my big boy started itching his leg, followed by tonnes of foot stamping and then when I ran over and felt down it he kicked out, which he simply never does.- he was hobbling on that back leg.

Brought him in caked in mud, washed down with hibiscrub and had another look fine down all the other legs but on that one he kicked out again.

so he was in for the last 24hrs, will pigs oil his leg and see how he is today again, if he is still sore he will be on limited turnout in non muddy field and back in again................

looks like I didnt get to make a choice after all..........looks like mud fever again.

newrider.com