Bringing in from field

westiedog

May 18, 2020
All going well apart from bringing in from the field. As soon as you get near she just prances off with her tail in the air. Any advice please?

How big is the field?
Who are they out with?
Make yourself interesting? Are you bringing in to feed or to work?

Oh no that sounds like that maybe a reason they sold her.

How big is her field. Id section it down if possible temporarily or have an area she can come into for some feed, then whilst shes eating you put a tape up behind so she cant disappear off across the field, then work on getting your bond stronger. Over the next few weeks. Make that area pleasant so she always wants to come into it. If you start catching her in there as soon as shes in it she will get wise and not enter the area. So make it super nice for her. Some days let her in for feed and scratches then let her go.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
I'm a great believer in bringing in every day for a teeny feed - if I only brought Hogan in for work or grooming, I think I'd be viewing his rear in retreat on a regular basis. He doesn't get much - a handful of nuts, molli and carrot - barely covers the bottom of the bucket.

I'm a great believer in bringing in every day for a teeny feed - if I only brought Hogan in for work or grooming, I think I'd be viewing his rear in retreat on a regular basis. He doesn't get much - a handful of nuts, molli and carrot - barely covers the bottom of the bucket.

Yes we've always done this with all ours when we used to ride them. I was always told by my RI not to just bring in regularly for work, otherwise she'd get wise to it and not be happy at being brought in just to get tacked up. And she was right of course, so when we moved them home and they lived out we still made a point of fetching in for a token feed. Great idea.

Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
The other thing (depending on how much time you have available and your weather conditions) is can you go and sit in the field? Sit and wait and see if she comes over. Curiosity gets the better of them mostly. Even J would come over to poke his huge nose in and see what I was doing! Realise that's not always an option - but if you're trying to get her in and feeling frustrated through lack of time, that can be another thing that they quickly pick up on.
Ours used to just know when we were late / running late / needing to be elsewhere. And boy did they give us the run around! They are so sensitive and can really play to it at times. Just a thought really - maybe go to bring her in when you're not pushed for time and feeling chilled and calm? You might already be and I could be talking twaddle lol

Reactions: MrA and Huggy
Yep avoid only catching to ride/work, often go up to them in the field, scratch and walk away, maybe give the occasional treat, you need them to associate your presence with nice things more often than work ?
If they do walk away, avoid chasing them but don’t let them stop to eat grass either, keep up a steady gentle pressure (uncomfortable) and give regular chances for them to stop and let themselves be caught (comfortable) and then give lots of fusses and reward and regularly let them go immediately so head collar on doesn’t always = work.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com