Bringing them in wet

Katz

Feb 3, 2009
Hi All,
In the wet or snowy weather, I worry about my boys when I bring them in wet for the night after turnout. They are out unrugged, they are mini colts and have really thick coats, but when they are soaking wet and come in for the night I am worried they will get chilled. I've been and ordered them a fleece each, is that the best idea do you think?:confused:

Katz

A fleece or thermatex will wick away the water from their bodies, so helping to dry them, it will stay warm from their body heat, so yes that is what I do.

Yep, I put a fleece pon and while I am doing other chorse (tack cleaning :rolleyes:) I let him dry off. You could put straw underneath, but I have never tried that seeing as I am on shavings lol.

Jen
x

If the coat next to the skin is warm and dry I wouldnt worry. If they are soaked through I have used a fleece and hay underneath as I didnt have any straw. Not a piece of hay in sight the next morning - ate the damn lot !!:D

I wanted to rug Rosie in the snow but as she was wet i did put some straw under her rainsheet - it worked a treat although she looked a bit odd and lumpy!
If their coats are that thick do they really care that the outer layer is a bit wet?

newrider.com