Brining a horse back into work

Abstract

Apr 17, 2019
Darlington
Hi guys, I got my first horse last week and she is an absolute diamond. She is 10 yo and has done the general things in her life. But due to her owner (ive got her on full loan) she was sat in a field for a long time so I'm having to bring her back into work. She is really easy going and is starting to listen to me when I am lunging her. She is also slightly underweight so im unable to ride her just yet. I am trying to get her to lunge with my voice commands rather than using the whip as she doesnt like it and just freaks out. I have been desensitising her with the whip as soon as we go into the school by rubbing the whip all over her body, I have found this helps quite alot. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what I could do with her to bring her back into work. Obviously riding is out of the question at the moment and ive seen on some posts that Lunging alot isnt good for them so what else can I do with her? Ive tried free schooling but she just likes to go at one end of the school where her turn out field is and look at her field mates.

With everything going on I would say just take your time. Be with her, not necessarily doing anything just keeping her company. Watch her, her likes and dislikes, how quick or slow she is to react to things and how she reacts. What's her normal relaxed body language and how does that change when things go wrong? Is she pleased to see you, does she come over, does she have favourite scratch spots? It's all little stuff, but add it together and it makes a difference, plus by watching her responses, her status in the herd, how sensitive she is to touchetc you'll have a good idea of what she'll be like under saddle before you ever get on her.

I'm sure there must be plenty of books out there about working in hand if you want to do something more formal, I can't recommend any because it isn't my thing but google will help you and it may be people on here can recommend some. It's a huge discipline, ranging from forms of natural horsemanship to the real classical style of the Spanish Riding School so if you're interested the first thing to decide is what area you want to look at.

Whatever you do I can't stress the importance of spending time together. Have fun!

With everything going on I would say just take your time. Be with her, not necessarily doing anything just keeping her company. Watch her, her likes and dislikes, how quick or slow she is to react to things and how she reacts. What's her normal relaxed body language and how does that change when things go wrong? Is she pleased to see you, does she come over, does she have favourite scratch spots? It's all little stuff, but add it together and it makes a difference, plus by watching her responses, her status in the herd, how sensitive she is to touchetc you'll have a good idea of what she'll be like under saddle before you ever get on her.

I'm sure there must be plenty of books out there about working in hand if you want to do something more formal, I can't recommend any because it isn't my thing but google will help you and it may be people on here can recommend some. It's a huge discipline, ranging from forms of natural horsemanship to the real classical style of the Spanish Riding School so if you're interested the first thing to decide is what area you want to look at.

Whatever you do I can't stress the importance of spending time together. Have fun!
Thankyou for your reply, I have been doing all of those things. Whenever she is in her stable I am always in there with her either stroking her or grooming her, even talking to her. She is very food orientated and says 'please' by lifting up her front leg so ive been teaching her to lift up the other leg. She's been respoonding really well to me and i've only had one major issue with her when I couldnt catch her. But that was only the once. She always lifts her head up when I shout her name to come and bring her in. We've bonded quite alot and i will be continuing to do all that stuff with her but just wanting some new ideas to build her muscle back up. Problem with me is that I'm a very impatient person but when it comes to Codie I always make sure she is happy and comfortable first before I do anything. I know when she isnt happy and I leave it and come back to it another time as I dont want to force her to do something yet with us still bonding. I am soon going to tack her up and put her in the school and just try leaning over her to see what her reaction is so that she can get used to having her bridle and saddle and weight back on her.

Reactions: carthorse
If you do that please make sure you have someone else there, while it shouldn't be a problem it's best to be safe. I mentioned in hand work before, and if you look at some of the more classical stuff you should find plenty of things to strengthen her up, just be aware that it can be harder for them than you think. Some of it may be done in long reins, if you don't know how to do that try finding someone to check she knows how and then teach you, it can be a useful way of working them.

Can you walk her out in hand? My cob had been a field ornament for a couple of years, and I had no tack for him. We got to know each other a little better doing that, along with the spending time together as carthorse rightly suggests. Also agree, have someone with you - a new horse is such an unknown quantity - it's nice to have that company, for safety, and confidence!

I personally wouldn't be getting on a horse that not been ridden in a long time just at the moment (if you're in the UK), as calm as she may be you never quite know what you are going to get and the NHS is already stretched and you don't want to be put at increased risk of catching this virus by needing a trip to hospital.

There's lots you can do in hand, pole exercises, obstacles, go out for walks, body control exercises, long lining, lateral work etc. All of them will help you bond and help her get stronger in preparation for when you can ride her, assessing how she copes with new/difficult things with be really useful for once you are on board.

I would suggest pole work. On the floor and raised. It sounds like you need to build some muscles up. Walking over raised poles is good for that apparently. There is a great fb page that i have just joined which gives you layouts for poles ideas called equestrian pole club. I think the pole patterns are really just to stop us getting fed up of the same things but theres some great ideas on there ft or insipration.
You say she lifts her leg, and you are teaching her to left the orher. Sounds like an excellent candidate for clicker training to me. So you can combine clicker training and walking over poles. Im currently teaching my old boy to alternate lifting his legs. So its great for weight balance. Carrot stretches as well, getting them to hold the stretch for a few seconds.
Have a look at youtube for Connection Training. Many great videos on there for ideas. Use of targeting and following a baton for reward. I use an old dressage whip. So you could use a dressage whip or your lunge whip and clicker training to help reassociate your horse that lunge whips are good things and reward.
Backing them up a hill to help build the back end muscles.
All this ground work will hopefully help strengthen your bond together.

Just to add, I would be very wary about taking an unknown horse out for in-hand walks unless you have somewhere where a loose horse can make it safely home without crossing any roads/footpaths or trashing anyone else's land. Just in case she spooks and gets away from you (it's all about the unnecessary risk). However, if you have somewhere safe to go around the yard that would be a fab bonding exercise.

Hopefully by the time this awful situation is all over you'll be ready to go out and have some fun with her. Good luck :)

Just to add, I would be very wary about taking an unknown horse out for in-hand walks unless you have somewhere where a loose horse can make it safely home without crossing any roads/footpaths or trashing anyone else's land. Just in case she spooks and gets away from you (it's all about the unnecessary risk). However, if you have somewhere safe to go around the yard that would be a fab bonding exercise.

Hopefully by the time this awful situation is all over you'll be ready to go out and have some fun with her. Good luck :)
Totally agree - I tend to forget how lucky I am with no road work, and an open forest to walk him in. If anything happened, he'd be as safe as the forest ponies. Different scenario entirely on the roads! Good point.

I love the period of getting to know a horse better as you prepare to ride them. My old pony was off work with illness several times, and we really enjoyed the period before he came back into ridden work. I walked him out in hand lots - very good for me as well as him! - and we particularly enjoyed long reining out and about. That may not be possible for you at present with the coronavirus restrictions, but if you can I really recommend long reining. You can watch your horse's posture and make sure she is working through from behind and swinging her back.

There are several good books which I could recommend if you like using books. If you are looking for things to entertain you, then I would try some of the natural horsemanship exercises in this book, which I have enjoyed using since I first got a pony 10 years ago https://smile.amazon.co.uk/101-Hors..._1?keywords=rio+barrett&qid=1585736872&sr=8-1

There is a lot you can do instead in preparation. Polework is a good activity to try. Or what about dressage exercises? You can find some online for each level. Look at some YouTube videos for training a horse. Alternatively you could always take her on a quick walk or do a mini obstacle course with her to try to build up her teamwork skills.
I also advise doing some flatwork with her too from time to time. And you should also be doing things like lateral work and groundwork. I am hoping to include lots more flatwork and easy dressage exercises in my training routine soon. Begin with them for now. They are good for her.

newrider.com