Broad-spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement

Kira657

Jul 18, 2005
North Cornwall
Can anyone recommend a good and preferably cheap broad-spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement or stable lick please?At the moment I'm only feeding chaff and just want to make sure she's getting all the vits and mins she needs.Thanks xx

I have been on the same hunt, a breeder friend recomended one to me, its meant for 'all stock' and on the label is says cow, horses and lama's or something, but I can't remember the name of it. It came in a yellow sack (20kg) from a agricultural merchant.

J x

I know that you may not have this product in the UK but in case Canadians happen to check out your post and are asking the same question; this is what I give my horses:

Co-Op Horse Pro-Bloc (I believe that Purina also has one for horses)
Personally (and backed up by my feed dealer) I wouldn't feed a supplement or concentrate that includes cows, sheep or other because their digestive systems are not the same as a horse & have slightly different needs.

Meaning what's good for one animal can be harmful for another. Ex: cobalt is good for cows but too much is harmful to horses. Copper is good for horses but too much is harmful to sheep.

I use Baileys LoCal Balancer, Ziz was on chaff only so she could take her arthritis supplement but was obviously lacking something. It's not that cheap but does last for ages and worked really quickly.

I have always used Spillers Equivite. It smells lovely and mixes well into the feed. I did once change to a D&H one but it was very powdery and Jake wouldn't eat it, just kicked over his feed bowl and refused to eat his tea :rolleyes:
It also comes in a treat form which can be given by hand, called Pasture Plus which is handy to give in the Summer if no bucket feed is being given

Just a query really but my horse and the other two he shares with are fed on hay only and none have a supplement, do they really need it? They are all good doers and are used for hacking and live out 24/7 but have never had anything other than good quality hay.They all look ok and have shiney coats and seem well enough but it seems a lot of people give their horses supplements as they worry about lack of vitamins.

I have used Equivite and one called TLC which was good. It is in liquid form but I can't remember who makes it.

I looked through a few of the feed suppliments and found Top Spec suited my needs most, as it had a broad range of vitamins and minerals, yeasts and probiotic, its about £30 for a sack but lasts 40 days for a 500kg horse, I have changed horses but stuck with it, :D

i am currently using a supplement called daily vits and mins by dodson and
horrell it is about £7.50 per tub and it lasts me about three weeks feeding three horses on it.

dawnhaytree said:
Just a query really but my horse and the other two he shares with are fed on hay only and none have a supplement, do they really need it? They are all good doers and are used for hacking and live out 24/7 but have never had anything other than good quality hay.They all look ok and have shiney coats and seem well enough but it seems a lot of people give their horses supplements as they worry about lack of vitamins.

Mine was on this (grazing and some hay) in the summer and showed that she needed something as her feet got very crumbly and she lost shoes constantly. Put her on the Baileys and her feet have been amazing. So in answer to your question - no, some horses can live on hay, grazing alone - your horse will tell you.

newrider.com